describe UCSF interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diogenes

Succat
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the format of the day like? All they told me was what time to be there, that I'd see one class, and have interviews in the afternoon. Anything other useful info would be nice... thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I arrived in the morning and met some other fellow interviewees...

Went and sat in on a first year lecture and then went and sat in on half of one of the smaller case based sessions. Highly recommend doing that if you can.

Then we were taken to the cafeteria by two fourth years and chatted for about 45 minutes or so, mostly about the clerkships and residency matching.

Around noon, we were taken on a tour by two first years. Saw the anatomy lab, library, gym, facilities, lecture halls, etc..This lasted about an hour.

My first interview was at 2:00 and went for an hour and a half, as did my second one (second year med student interviewer) which started at 4:00.

It was a long day, but it was really enjoyable. Out of the schools I have interviewed at, UCSF was the most impressive all around. The students were chill, the lecturer was funny and articulate (a rare combination), the library is cush, and the gym is hooked up, and oh yes the lounge isn't bad either.

The interviews are closed file. All they know is your name so be prepared to lead the interview. Lots of character probing, background questions, etc..conversational but also thorough.

I'm a bit biased b/c I've had a medical school crush on this school for years, but I am sure you will enjoy your day. Just relax.

Interview Day at a Glance
Check-in
The Admissions Office is located at 521 Parnassus Avenue in the Clinical Sciences Building, Room C-200. Please see your confirmation email for your arrival time. You will be given specific information about your interview times and locations, a class schedule and other pertinent information about your interview day.

Interviews
Whenever possible, interviewees are granted two interviews. The average interview lasts 40 minutes but varies according to individual interviewers and applicants. Interviews are conducted without prior review of your file. This means that the interviews are blind. At least one interviewer will be a member of our faculty, and the other may or may not be a medical student. Since medical school commitments prevent student interviews for all applicants, other opportunities are provided for you to meet and talk with medical students. If your interview(s) is off campus, free shuttle service will be provided.

Lunch (11:00-11:45am)
All interviewees meet in C-200. We will provide a lunch voucher and direct you to the Courtyard Cafe to buy your lunch. You will be joined by a 3rd or 4th year medical student if possible.

Financial Aid Information Session (11:50-12:10)
Student Financial Services will present information to all applicants and invite questions about financial aid.

Campus Tour (12:15-12:55pm)
All interviewees return to C-200 to meet the student tour guide. This an excellent opportunity to gain information about UCSF, student life on and off campus, and the community.

Classes (as time permits)
You will be given a course schedule upon check-in. Classes are held weekdays excluding exam times, holidays, and time off. Unfortunately there may be times when interviewees do not have the opportunity to view classes due to their interview schedule. If you are unable to visit classes, we encourage you to come back another time.

Investigate on Your Own (as time permits)
Feel free to explore any areas of special interest on your own using the map included in your materials. We encourage you to visit the Student Lounge in the Medical Sciences Building, Room S-245 where you will find many medical students always willing to chat with applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry- that was directly from the interview website they send you when you confirm. I had to turn it down, but i can still access the site :) --Trek

awe... trek you aint going to ucsf? :(

i wish i could say "we'll miss you" but i'm still waiting to here!

did you apply to any other calif schools?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Trek:
•Sorry- that was directly from the interview website they send you when you confirm. I had to turn it down, but i can still access the site :) --Trek•••••

souljah told you all you need, good luck!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by souljah1:
•I arrived in the morning and met some other fellow interviewees...

Went and sat in on a first year lecture and then went and sat in on half of one of the smaller case based sessions. Highly recommend doing that if you can.

Then we were taken to the cafeteria by two fourth years and chatted for about 45 minutes or so, mostly about the clerkships and residency matching.

Around noon, we were taken on a tour by two first years. Saw the anatomy lab, library, gym, facilities, lecture halls, etc..This lasted about an hour.

My first interview was at 2:00 and went for an hour and a half, as did my second one (second year med student interviewer) which started at 4:00.

It was a long day, but it was really enjoyable. Out of the schools I have interviewed at, UCSF was the most impressive all around. The students were chill, the lecturer was funny and articulate (a rare combination), the library is cush, and the gym is hooked up, and oh yes the lounge isn't bad either.

The interviews are closed file. All they know is your name so be prepared to lead the interview. Lots of character probing, background questions, etc..conversational but also thorough.

I'm a bit biased b/c I've had a medical school crush on this school for years, but I am sure you will enjoy your day. Just relax.•••••