Describe yourself? (on paper)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

link26

Loves the pooty
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my 2ndary applications asks me to describe myself in 1000 words. I've never done this in writing before, and it seems easy to write a dull essay on this subject.

What the heck do people usually write about?
Better yet, what should I NOT talk about?

Obviously people don't write about their physical appearance.
and everyone says they're 'caring' even though half of them are lying.

Should I just describe an event or two and let the adcom make its own conclusions about me?

Members don't see this ad.

Ahhh, you must be doing the Albany secondary...what a pain! Yeah, that one took forever. I just started by saying "I would describe myself as...." I had put it off long enough and 1000 characters is no time to become Shakespeare.

yeah. I really have nothing to write about.

I'm a slob and I watch 4 hours of TV a day. Should I talk about this? :p

I don't think I really care about this Albany application. They're not gonna accept some lowly Californian anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a form paper to use:

I am Count -Insert Name-, sole heir to the -Insert Name- fortune. I have always dreamed of going to Medical School and will go to anywhere that accepts me. However, I cannot abide spending hours a day in filthy classrooms with out of date equipment and anything BUT the best. I also demand that everyone around me likewise is using the best so that I know I will have respectable peers I may brag about at my various multi-million dollar fundraisers I host for my previous alma maters. Therefore I usually make it an effort to buy the school upgrades on its equipment, textbooks, building and professor salaries to ensure the best education possible.

Thank you for your consideration and I hope we shall talk again soon as my dividends on my vast vast portfolios are due to arrive in my vast vast bank accounts shortly. And as it is written in my will, I must spend it all. And what better place to spend it then towards education.

Sincerely,
Count -Inset Name- III, esq.

i fell on the floor laughing so hard! seriously though, if i were on the adcoms and saw an entry like that, i'd fed ex an acceptance letter right away!

Originally posted by UCIgrad2002
i fell on the floor laughing so hard! seriously though, if i were on the adcoms and saw an entry like that, i'd fed ex an acceptance letter right away!

I'm thinking actually about sending that on a secondary or two to unrealistic schools that are actually daft and blind enough to send me a secondary. Maybe they'll feel the need the meet the idiot comedian who wasted a hundred bucks by sending them that tripe.

Recommended Response:
"Unfortunately I cannot disclose any pertinent information, as it may compromise agents in the field. However, I can include the following personal information for your consideration: I am a Virgo, love sunrises, but not sunsets, drive with the top down in the dead of winter, enjoy long walks on the beach and fly fishing. Please understand that this information has been fabricated, as I have signed a confidentiality agreement with the Slovakian government, who owns the rights to all information regarding 'Project Human Clone', and will terminate the project should information leak to the United States. Thank you, I will expect my admission letter in seven business days."

you could write an autobio.

These are rush university's questions, which all are stuff to "describe yourself", which may help your mind to think... (I personally think they are pain the as* quesstions, but anyway.... if it'll make your brain move towards the right direction, that's good)

1. State one major problem you encountered during the past three to five years and explain how you resolved it.
2. Briefly describe the personal characteristics that make you effective in working with people and outline your skills, interest,
aptitude and temperament in relation to your suitability for a career in medicine.
3. What do you feel are your greatest academic and non-academic strengths? Explain.
4. What do you feel are your greatest academic and non-academic weaknesses? Explain.
5. Who do you feel will be most likely to provide you emotional support while in medical school? Give relationship and reason for
choosing the individual(s).
6. List your hobbies in order of importance to you.
7. What other career possibilities did you consider and why did you reject them?
8. Briefly describe your experiences in working with people, the general responsibilities of each, and how long you held the positions.
If you have had limited experiences in working with people in the health field, be sure to list any life experience, both
paid or voluntary, including high school, college or community service.
9. If you have had any experiences working with individuals from diverse backgrounds, please describe and explain what you have
learned from these experiences?
10a. What plans do you have following graduation from medical school?

Does that make you think about questiosn that describe you? Think about some of the other secondaries you wrote. anything from their about you, that albany may be impressed by? anything about you, that will help you gain admission if albany knew? (aka, you will give them big $$ if you come, as TTSD joked)

no, they don't want to know how you look (they see that in interview). but.. if you'e paticularly hot... well... you could allude at that... (need to be subtle here, now ;))

thanks for those questions sonya.
those really got me thinking.

I couldn't think of those questions because so far, none of my other 2ndaries asks for any essays. They just want my $$$$. Damn schools.

wow, I'm glad I didn't apply to rush