Design Your Perfect Psych Study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilikepsych

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"If you could design any psych study, without having to worry about money or logistical considerations, what would your perfect psych study be?"

Hey everyone,
I got this question during a phone interview and think I bombed it. It is actually a really fun and interesting thing to consider. What would you have said, or what would you say if you got this?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I would describe a study focused on a child's emotional development longitudinally, looking at parental psychopathology as an predictor/confounder.

I'm not sure what a wrong answer would be? Unless it had absolutely nothing to do with the faculty of interest. They probably are looking for overlap in your response.

Since I am a suicide researcher, I would love to be able to do research which closely mimics real-life so that we can finally learn more about suicide. This isn't ethical, but if there were only a way to really study suicide directly and also keep people safe. Right now, we are trying to study it from afar, or study related aspects to learn about suicide and it just isn't cutting it in my book.

Anyways, I don't know if that is a good answer or not, but that is probably what I would have said. I am sure you did better than you think!

Members don't see this ad :)
Though this isn't my area of study or interest.....it caught my eye awhile back.

4-5 years ago I read some interesting an article about using LSD clinically (PTSD) I know this is already some pretty contreversial research in this area, but I really think there could be an opportunity if done carefully.

Someone brought this up recently (I think here?) in regard to Michael Mithoefer M.D.'s research with LSD, and it got me thinking about it again. From my understanding, he has received the go-ahead from the gov't to conduct PTSD research involving LSD. I haven't had the chance to read thoroughly through his particular work, so YMMV.

As for the long term side effects of LSD use.....I'm still looking into this, so even though this is my proposal for a perfect psych study...i'm still not sure i'd do it.

:laugh:

-t

ps. Suicide research seems fascinating, though I'm not really sure HOW you'd do the work ethically, but I think the findings would be helpful.

Since I am a suicide researcher, I would love to be able to do research which closely mimics real-life so that we can finally learn more about suicide. This isn't ethical, but if there were only a way to really study suicide directly and also keep people safe. Right now, we are trying to study it from afar, or study related aspects to learn about suicide and it just isn't cutting it in my book.

Anyways, I don't know if that is a good answer or not, but that is probably what I would have said. I am sure you did better than you think!

I'm happy to see that there is another suicide enthusiast here! I think we are few and far between... just telling people that you enjoy studying suicide is enough to get looks of confusion from everyone... But yay... I'm so glad to see there is someone else!

For me it would be something along the lines of a longitudinal study investigating either cognitive rehabilitation following TBI or cognitive decline in neurodegenerative disease each correlated with structural and functional MRI and DTI data.

I would say some real data on the correlational loading of homosexuality in terms of nature/nurture, gender differences...real info, race differences/relations, effectiveness of affirmative action, public schools, the state of health care in the US, how much of mental illness is bio, and psycho, and social; some real, reliable info on new drugs; what does Etoh and pot really do to our brains; is psychiatry really on to something or are insurance companies messing with us for profit. To start with.............:eek: