Desired MCAT for August...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSERMAN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
testing. I am applying and need to know what you guys think I would need to score on MCAT to be competitive for an interview with these stats. I will likely apply to Kansas City, Des Moines, West Virginia & Nova.

Overall GPA: 3.29
Science GPA: 3.29
Post-Bacc: 3.62 (90 Hours)
B.B.A.- Accounting
B.S.- Biology

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

24+ would be doing well. Also, Avoid West Virginia. They almost accept no one who is out of state. Apply to Kansas, Des Moines, Lake Eerie... etc...

Private DO schools... Not public.

W.

Whoa, u remind me of.... me.

As per the MCAT's, you'd like to be a cut above; try to avoid anything under 8 especially on verbal. nines and tens on the rest. think 27 or more. im not saying that just to argue with WUAStar, but because DO apps are getting more and more competitive. good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Adismo,

I totally agree with you about the MCAT. The higher the better of course. I think a person should shoot for as high as humanly possible.

What I meant was that I think he should apply with a 24 or better if that's all he gets. I had a 23 last year and I didn't get accepted anywhere. I do know several people with 24's who did. There is something about that magic point. This year my 27 is going to have me going places. ;-D

Take Care,
W.

Originally posted by adismo:
Whoa, u remind me of.... me.

As per the MCAT's, you'd like to be a cut above; try to avoid anything under 8 especially on verbal. nines and tens on the rest. think 27 or more. im not saying that just to argue with WUAStar, but because DO apps are getting more and more competitive. good luck.

not to rain on anyone's parade but I spoke to UNE last month about whether i should take the MCAT again after scoring a 29 and all they would say is "our averages of the incoming class are 3.4 gpa and 30 on the mcat."

YIKES!

anyone else hear this?

nmheta:

That's higher than I have ever seen. Maybe they are doing it to motivate people more? Maybe they are saying it to discourage people with less competitive aplications from applying?
But, I dont think they would lie to you, they are a great school. I, myself, being from New England am interested in UNECOM.
Maybe they raised their standards. And if they did, good for them.

Best of luck everyone.

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

Hello,

This is straight from USNEWS.

UNECOM: Fall of 1999

Acceptance rate: 9.5%

GPA
Average undergraduate GPA: 3.30
MCAT
Overall score (composite): 8.3
Verbal reasoning: 8.4
Physical sciences: 8.1
Biological: 8.5
Writing: P

If you were talking to them last month, then it was for the fall of 2000 class. I find it "extremely" hard to believe that in one year the average MCAT went from a 24.9 to a 30. Its possible the cumulative GPA is up a tenth this year, but I will dispute the 5 point leap in MCAT. The average MCAT at most of the top osteopathic schools as of now is around a 27 composite.

Take Care,
W.

thanks for the info. maybe it was just a scare tactic since it did seem high to me as well. Best of luck to all and JP, maybe our paths will cross at UNE one day.

Neel