desp for UTH..somebody hellpp mmmee!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweet tooth3015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused::confused:k so this is how it goes......i HAVE TO HAVE TO desprtly get into UT houston for fall 2011.nowhere else i need uth...no i m not crazy...just personal reasons.....nyways heres ma profile.....
gre 1090--- 670q and 420v awa 3.5

toefl 97/120

gpa 3.4

work experience-none...i just graduated as dentist.

can sumbody tell me my chances and to which department i shoukd try applying so that I WILL get a seat and what else i can do to definitly get a seat....pls do do do help.....totally desp!!!!!! thanx a bunch:confused::confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I remember that when people apply to medical school the school will often take personal reasons for wanting to go to that school (usually to be with a partner) into account. I think they even ask you if you have a compelling personal need to be in the area.

So, maybe you should consider writing a nice letter explaining your situation and send it to whomever you're communicating with there. If you email regular admissions they might keep your letter on file with your app.

If you just graduated from dental school you're pretty qualified for PH, I think. There are a lot of dental MPHs out there.

I don't know what else to say... there may be "less competitive" concentrations you can apply to, but it might have to stretch your imagination to apply oral health to maternal and child health, for example!

thnk u so much fer ur response...well actually my fiancee( well i m getting married in 2 weeks..yay! so by the tym i m actually in UTH he wud b ma husband) is there and thats THE reason i wanna join there....u actually think i can mail the admissions officer regarding this matter? will it help or will it b put on the negative side..like the only reason she wants to join here is cz her fiancee is here??

and the branches availble in ut houston is epidemiology,env n occupational sciences,health policy n managmnt,biostats,n health promotion......which do u think will qualify for the "less competative" one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi sweet tooth3015,

I had a similar situation with Drexel University's School of Public Health. I had a question regarding sending in an extra letter of intent to Drexel due to my circumstances, so I emailed Colleen Baillie, the Director of Enrollment, Recruitment and Retention at the school.

On SOPHAS, there was no place for me to mention these extenuating circumstances about my application to Drexel, and I didn't want to include it in my personal statement because it wasn't really related to my goals.

I wrote to her asking the committee on admissions to note that I am interested in Drexel University not only because of my personal interests in global public health, but also because of location needs. My brother is affected by Asperger's syndrome, an autism spectrum disorder characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction, along with restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior. He differs from other autism spectrum disorders because his linguistic and cognitive development has not been affected.

My brother is applying to the Masters of Science in Environmental Engineering program at Drexel University, and I would like to be in close proximity to him due to his anxiety, and at times, difficult behavior.

Although my situation might not be as pressing as others (like being married or having children), I have never lived far from my brother and family is always a priority to me when making a large decision, such as moving out of California.

Ms. Baillie thanked me for my application to the Drexel University School of Public Health, and forwarded my message to the admissions office. She said they will make note of my email in my file.

I recommend you contact the school, and let them know about your situation in a positive manner. I don't think they will look at it negatively, as I have found that most admissions staff are actually very nice, reasonable people.

Good luck!

hey..thnk u so much for ur response....temme..u got into drexel wid tht letter ?? n how was ur profile?

wat branch do u think i shud apply for?my fiancee really wants me in epi...but do u think wid ma stats it possible??

thank u once again for ur mail...i was soo relieved..thank u!

Why can't you just apply to the program that suits you best? I mean, it's not usually the end of the world if a person doesn't get into a program the first time...

But that aside, I really don't think it matters that much anyway because by reaching out to them and telling them your personal situation you kind of become exempt from the more "roll of the dice" process most people go through. But if you're really concerned, you could email someone who's research you are interested in and ask if they think you'd be a good fit for that program, or would fit better in another program...

Just my opinion.

You are right.....Thank you so much,I needed so much for someone to guide me...Thank you once again!

Why can't you just apply to the program that suits you best? I mean, it's not usually the end of the world if a person doesn't get into a program the first time...

But that aside, I really don't think it matters that much anyway because by reaching out to them and telling them your personal situation you kind of become exempt from the more "roll of the dice" process most people go through. But if you're really concerned, you could email someone who's research you are interested in and ask if they think you'd be a good fit for that program, or would fit better in another program...

Just my opinion.

hey..thnk u so much for ur response....temme..u got into drexel wid tht letter ?? n how was ur profile?

wat branch do u think i shud apply for?my fiancee really wants me in epi...but do u think wid ma stats it possible??

I just recently applied to Drexel, so I haven't gotten any acceptances or rejections yet. I took my GRE and will probably be taking it again in December just to see if I can improve a little bit on verbal. I have 2,500 hours of clinical experience, research (microbiology & molecular genetics...not public health related), lived in Africa for three months doing volunteer work through an NGO, have volunteered at an orphanage in mexico one weekend every month for the last two years, and have done community health teachings at underserved elementary schools in southern California for three years.

As for what branch you should apply for, I definitely agree with Leelah when it comes to picking what you are passionate about. I don't think you will ever be happy if you just listen to what you fiancee/husband wants you to do. I have met SO many students that have parents who want them to be doctors or lawyers, and their parents tell them they are failures if they can't achieve their expectations. These people are usually very unhappy, lackluster in their work, and cannot really produce a good reason for WHY they are doing what they do. It's so sad to see these people listen to their parents' reasons, instead of standing up for themselves and making a decision based on their own interests.

I suggest that you really figure out what is going to be best for you in the long run, at least in order to save time and money. If you're a dentist, it would probably help the admissions committee if you explained how you got from being a dentist to wanting to earn a public health degree. For instance, one of my family friends (the women who delivered me) went to medical school, but then got her MPH because her husband was still finishing medical school and she wanted to wait for him to finish so that they could move to another state. She said she doesn't really use her MPH degree that much as an OB/GYN, but still really loved the classes and professors.

I don't want to sound "preachy", but try to reflect on your reasons. If you can't come up with your own passions, then it will be for the best that you strongly consider something you are interested in, rather than what someone else thinks you should do.

Best wishes!