Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Desperado Heeds Help!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by einey, Jan 6, 2002.

1. einey

einey Member
    15+ Year Member

Hi Guys,

Need your help. I'm one of those with the upward trend GPA situation. Cum Science 3.10 BUT the last 2 years of a second BA in Bio was a 3.6. MCATs 9V 9P 9B. Here is the issue, I've taken Cell, Molecular, Histology, Gentics, Biochem, Physiology, Anatomy, Med Microbiology Statistics,Population Biology, Pathophysiology, Pharmacology, Human Preg,Microbial Ecology and 4 Biotech classes all earning A's and some B's. My question is what should I take to raise my GPA. Just easy classes to get the numbers up or what? take at Comm. College or 4 year? What should I do. Good letters of rec and lots of EC's. Thanks for your help in advance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. THE instiGATOR

THE instiGATOR Cow Tipper
    7+ Year Member

You've proved that you can handle difficult classes. If you feel it is needed, take easy classes at a four year institution. Do and take what you must at this point to get the #s up. People may try to tell you otherwise, but #s are pretty important. I wouldn't take all fluff classes - that might be pushing it. If I were you, I would take 2 challenging classes and 3 fluff classes that sound like they might be difficult.

Just my sneaky $0.02!

Being a chem major, I've learned that taking the most difficult classes does not help much. When it all boils down, #s are more important.

4. einey

einey Member
    15+ Year Member

Hey Swampman,

Thanks for your 2 cents, they make alot of sense! I applied this year, just waiting...but in the meantime I'm making plans to raise my GPA. If anyone else has some ideas, fire away. Thanks guys.

5. einey

einey Member
    15+ Year Member

6. Mystique

Mystique The Procrastinator
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    einey,

I have a different opinion on the matter. I'd recommend that you continue to take "hard/medium difficulty caliber" classes. Yes, numbers are important, but ADCOMs know the difference between an A in BI 100 level classes and BI 300+ classes. Some schools will notice your change in course level difficulty and may hold it against you..."John Doe here took hard classes and then progressed to the easy ones...blah blah blah" and once they do their detective work, they'll probably jump to (incorrect) conclusions. Why take the chance? Also, if you've shown that you can do well in difficult bio classes, why not continue taking them. IF you can continue to get As in them, that'll be a double in favor for you.

As far as taking classes at a community college, some med schools are biased and may hold it against you. They'll see "Rocky Ridge Community College" and raise their noses. They may even look the other way. BUT at the same time, other schools won't hold that against you.

I guess I haven't really given you sagacious advice. I guess if I were in your shoes, I'd continue taking "medium/hard" level classes as opposed to "easy." You may even get bored by the easy ones...

Good luck w/ the decision. :)

7. einey

einey Member
    15+ Year Member

HI ,

Thanks for the opinion. Anyone else have some advice? I know there are alot of upward grade trend people out there in a similar position. Any other ideas?

8. einey

einey Member
    15+ Year Member

Guys, Please, I really need some more imput on this one. I've only had 2 responses, and I need more help desperately.

9. einey

einey Member
    15+ Year Member

10. Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member

I am in your situation
    Perhaps 10 C's on my transcript, in my first 1.5 years of college. Some C's even in my late second year. I decided not to take any more classes, I thought it would be a waste of my money and energy, esp since I had so many credits that no amount of classes would pull me up to an A. (And my CUM was a 3.4) Furthermore, I had done substantially well in my upper level Biochem, Orgo and other upper level Bioloy classes, so I had demonstrated that I can handle the rigor of medical school.
    I decided to do something quite against the grain. Soon after graduation, I took 2 years off, paid off some school loans, got a licence to be an EMT ...and am currently working with Alzheimer's Disease patients doing clinical research that got me a co-author publication. I have done other things too that are quite unique on my application, and I am sure I will be asked about it at my interviews.

Here's my logic--almost everybody has good grades before going into med school. Sure, numbers help, but only if they are in the upper 3.5's and above. Instead of being "just one of them" by trying to achieve good grades by taking fluff classes, my suggestion is to do whatever it takes to do well inthe harder clases, show em what you're made of. While you're doing that, do something UNIQUE, something that speaks to you..that's not jsut going to boost your resume, but will also enhance you as a physician. Even though numbers help, med schools don't just want people who have taken classes and done well in them...they also want those that have fallen, worked hard to get back up..and outdone themselves.

Think about it--if you were to have a choice of two people on your team (toi be physicians) would you rather have
    a. a person who is really brilliant, good GPA, good EC's etc
    or
    b. a person who is not as "brilliant" but very hard working; has made mistakes but knows how to get back on the horse; and mostly somebody, who never gives up?
    Personally, I would choose the second one, simply b/c I think person B could have some personal qualities that he achieved, that person A may not have b/c they never faultered. Make sense?

Sorry about my long twisted arguement...but i hope it makes sense. I wish you the best of luck.

Tweetie

11. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Also I would retake the MCAT. That would probably be my first priority and the easiest thing you can improve on.

12. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

Damn,

Relax dude. You got plenty of time to figure it out...stop bumping up the thing once ever 7 minutes. People look at the whole list...a better idea would be to convey what you are trying to ask in the subject line rather than just saying you need help!

Just relax....

13. shimmer118

shimmer118 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi,

I agree with Tweetie_bird. Med schools definitely look at the types of classes you've taken. If it's clear that you took a bunch of easy classes just to boost a gpa, they won't like it. Adcoms see thousands of applications every year: they know what's fluff and what's not, and they don't like it when someone is trying to fool them. Don't take classes that will just get you a certain grade: take classes that interest you, will set you apart, and that will show the adcoms that you can handle the pressures of med school. Good luck!

14. reesie0726

reesie0726 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think that you should not take all fluff courses. I agree with the person who wrote to take a couple of easy A courses and a couple of challenging courses. Then also try to do something unique that will help you stand out from the other applicants. Trust me it helps. I did Teach for America after I graduated and my interviewers were very interested in that experience. Try to have a slamming mcat score. That will help the adcom's overlook poor early grades also.

15. reesie0726

reesie0726 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I will put a little more of my opinion in. Do not overload yourself on classes that are really difficult. You need to have a balance. Take some interesting and challenging courses but dont take so many that your grades will suffer. It is important to show that you not only took challenging courses but that you excelled in them.

16. einey

einey Member
    15+ Year Member

Thanks guys for the responses, I really needed that, because I don't have much time, I'm an older student.

17. UCLA2000

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Take EASY classes that count towards your science GPA. These can include certain Psychology classes, and easy bios...