Quantcast

Desperate for C/P advice!

Get Shadowing and a Virtual Clinical Education
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

believe <3

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I'm taking the July 22 exam. C/P is a weak section for me. Is it worth doing the TPR SWB Chemistry and Physics passages at this point? Or would I benefit more from taking C/P section tests?

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep & Bad Singer
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
That section requires logical reasoning more than anything. That comes from practicing with questions that make you think (as opposed to regurgitating facts and concepts). You have two weeks, which is plenty of time to get better at handling chemistry and physics questions.

believe <3

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
That section requires logical reasoning more than anything. That comes from practicing with questions that make you think (as opposed to regurgitating facts and concepts). You have two weeks, which is plenty of time to get better at handling chemistry and physics questions.

Are you sure that's still the case though? I've heard that recent test administrations have been very calculation and fact heavy :( it looks like the MCAT isn't predictable anymore…

believe <3

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I am quite sure.

Oh okay, well logical reasoning is probably better for me than straight up difficult calculations. I have all the TBR books but tbh, they are very difficult for me and I'm worried it will lower my confidence even more in these two weeks. TPR SWB seems easier and good for drilling content, but is it representative?

Would you instead suggest taking section tests for C/P everyday until July 22? That way, I could practice on my timing as well and (hopefully) cover a wide range of content…

premedkid1994

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

I'm struggling in c/p as well and my exam is on Aug 5th.
what I am doing (since I already finished content review) is doing those 1.1, 1.2, etc 59 question exams at the end of the books.
I have the BR books
So on one day ill do Chem book 1 and book 2 1.1 (total of 118 questions)
then next day ill do physics book 1 and book 2 1.1 (total of 118 questions)
THEN IF I NEED HELP ON A SECTION, ILL GO BACK TO THAT SECTION, READ EVERYTHING AND DO THE PHASES FOR THAT PARTICULAR SECTION UNTIL I 100% UNDERSTAND

I want to finish these end of book tests before my exam.

Do you think this is a good strategy? @BerkReviewTeach

Reactions: 1 user

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep & Bad Singer
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In terms of general chemistry, I would be sure to do Phase II for Sections 2, 4*, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 11 and Practice Exams 1.1 through 2.6. Those will give you a very good feel for the reasoning you need for the MCAT.

In terms of physics, I would be sure to do Phase II for Sections 1, 5*, 6, 7, 8*, 9*, and 10 and Practice Exams 1.1 through 2.5. For exams 1.1 through 1.5, if you just want to focus on the fluid passages, that would be fine.

In terms of organic chemistry, chapter 5 with all of the biological applications, is essential. Most of the new material that AAMC added for the 2015 exam can be found in that chapter. Chapters 7 and 8 are critical as well.

You will encounter some calculations in that group of passages, which hopefully will alleviate your stress after you see some short cuts for handling math. Even the hardest acclamations can be made simpler when they are multiple choice. Learning to take advantage of multiple choice should be one of your goals for the next two weeks.

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep & Bad Singer
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling in c/p as well and my exam is on Aug 5th.
what I am doing (since I already finished content review) is doing those 1.1, 1.2, etc 59 question exams at the end of the books.
I have the BR books
So on one day ill do Chem book 1 and book 2 1.1 (total of 118 questions)
then next day ill do physics book 1 and book 2 1.1 (total of 118 questions)
THEN IF I NEED HELP ON A SECTION, ILL GO BACK TO THAT SECTION, READ EVERYTHING AND DO THE PHASES FOR THAT PARTICULAR SECTION UNTIL I 100% UNDERSTAND

I want to finish these end of book tests before my exam.

Do you think this is a good strategy? @BerkReviewTeach

That is a great strategy, because 1.1 and 2.1 collectively cover everything in that subject. Same with 1.2 and 2.2, 1.3 and 2.3, etc... The important thing is to go over the explanations and try any questions you missed a second time. You should keep a log of shortcut equations, concepts, and mnemonics you used.

premedkid1994

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
In terms of general chemistry, I would be sure to do Phase II for Sections 2, 4*, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 11 and Practice Exams 1.1 through 2.6. Those will give you a very good feel for the reasoning you need for the MCAT.

In terms of physics, I would be sure to do Phase II for Sections 1, 5*, 6, 7, 8*, 9*, and 10 and Practice Exams 1.1 through 2.5. For exams 1.1 through 1.5, if you just want to focus on the fluid passages, that would be fine.

In terms of organic chemistry, chapter 5 with all of the biological applications, is essential. Most of the new material that AAMC added for the 2015 exam can be found in that chapter. Chapters 7 and 8 are critical as well.

You will encounter some calculations in that group of passages, which hopefully will alleviate your stress after you see some short cuts for handling math. Even the hardest acclamations can be made simpler when they are multiple choice. Learning to take advantage of multiple choice should be one of your goals for the next two weeks.

thank you so much! @BerkReviewTeach
I will definitely do all those!

premedkid1994

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
That is a great strategy, because 1.1 and 2.1 collectively cover everything in that subject. Same with 1.2 and 2.2, 1.3 and 2.3, etc... The important thing is to go over the explanations and try any questions you missed a second time. You should keep a log of shortcut equations, concepts, and mnemonics you used.

Ok. The thing is I like the phases, but I hate doing problems right after I finish the same chapter. I feel like the score is inflated that way. That is why I thought about doing the section exams at the end of every book! and then going back to the phases in case i needed help

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep & Bad Singer
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doing Phase I right afterwards is not a bad idea, because it will help solidify the material. But as you suggest, waiting on Phase II and especially the practice exams (Phase III) is a great idea.

sleepyhead22

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do the CP section bank and review those topics by doing practice problems and watching Khan Academy videos until you feel extremely comfortable with them. The aamc question packs were also helpful for me. I went from getting a 61% on the unscored sample to a 128 (81% right) on the scored full length a few weeks later by working through aamc materials. The concepts I saw on the section banks did come up on my actual test June 18th. Good luck! This is a section that you really can improve your score by reviewing high yield concepts over the next couple of weeks.