Desperate for help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neckdeepinproblems

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I am desperately in need of help..I graduated residency in 2015.working as locum tenens physician..Recently lost my job..I was foolish to not keep other position as back up..now I am left with no job..am looking for a full time job now..but the whole process is going to take min 3 months.and if I want to go to another state then additional time for new license will take another 2 to 3 months. I don't know how to cover that gap in my CV..what shall I tell the programs?
I already have gap on my CV after residency for 6 months because of pregnancy and baby..

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone I am desperately in need of help..I graduated residency in 2015.working as locum tenens physician..Recently lost my job..I was foolish to not keep other position as back up..now I am left with no job..am looking for a full time job now..but the whole process is going to take min 3 months.and if I want to go to another state then additional time for new license will take another 2 to 3 months. I don't know how to cover that gap in my CV..what shall I tell the programs?
I already have gap on my CV after residency for 6 months because of pregnancy and baby..
Take another locums for a bit

Members don't see this ad :)
But even for anothe locums position I have to go through credentialing which takes min 45 days :(
Which is 45 faster than your other option right now. It's not like you are busy tomorrow, start paperwork with a locums while chasing long term work. When you actually sign a long term deal you let thw locums know you aren't interested any more

Reactions: 1 users
Which is 45 faster than your other option right now. It's not like you are busy tomorrow, start paperwork with a locums while chasing long term work. When you actually sign a long term deal you let thw locums know you aren't interested any more

I lost my job in december and applied for a locum position but the credentialing will be finished in April..what shall I put in my Resume regarding these 3 months gap..

What do you think we can say? If you didn't have a job you didn't have a job. As long as you weren't fired for something bad it probably won't be a big deal as that is really what it draws attention to-what led to you having the gap, not what was supposed to go in the gap.

Some states have emergency credentialing/licensing that locums people may be able to better explain.

I lost my job in december and applied for a locum position but the credentialing will be finished in April..what shall I put in my Resume regarding these 3 months gap..

Since no one has been able to give you better, and my suggestions may mean dick fluff to anyone who actually cares about your resume,

Check out the jobs wanted board. Check out the "doctors dropout club", they have all sorts of jobs that often don't need a license. Consulting, writing up doctor stuff, writing educational materials, etc. Contact your med school, or your residency program. Sometimes they can find ways you can contribute.

You can do medically related things so you don't look like a lazy ass and look like you were doing stuff for your resume without making money or without needing a license.

I was getting the sense you're more worried about gap than making money.

If you're worried about the gap on your resume, don't. Nobody will care as long as you can reasonably explain it (which it appears you can).

If you're worried about the money, that's why one should be putting away a huge chunk of each check (40%+) when doing locums...to tide one through times like this.

Reactions: 1 user
what gutonc and gastrapathy said, but did they not give you at least 30 days notice?

the gap isn't a big deal...you say you were awaiting credentialing for the next assignment, vacation, whatever...so long as its voluntary (license isn't suspended or credentials were taken away, etc...) no one is going to care.

Last edited:
Yeah just tell them you were unemployed for a month after you had a baby... if they even ask, which they won't. Why is this even an issue? Nobody cares. The dumb thing to do would be to try and make something up or be dishonest and get caught in it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile