*Desperate* I want to have knowledge about dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wwkkim

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone..

I have a very desperate and important question to ask about. I am wondering if anyone knows good website/forum that deals with the study of dentistry. Some forum that talks about the "academic" side of dentistry but not much on topics like "income", "tuition fee" and etc.

I have always wanted to engage in dentistry as pleasure but other factors are keeping me away from it. (Like, a tennis player who liked playing tennis as a hobby but begins to hate it when he has to make money out it when he becomes a professional tennis player)

So, if you guys know any good forums or websites that tell about dentistry from the basic to advanced level, would you please share it with me?

Thank you ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Uh, not quite sure what you're saying..... are you thinking about taking up dentistry as a hobby on the weekends? Like Tennis?

Anyway, the only other forum I know of is Dentaltown. try dentaltown.com

So you want to practice dentistry without getting paid? Sure, just go through 4 years of dental school like the rest of us and you can do all the pro-bono work you want. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
dentistry is a very hands-on profession and the only way you can be exposed to this type of training is to go through dental school (meaning you will spend $200,000+ over 4 years). If you want to learn about lets say how teeth are developed or the concepts of occlusion, yeah, you can pick up a book and read it, but who really does that? Whats the use of learning about drilling cavities and filling it with amalgam without actually having hands on experience? Dentistry isn't meant to be a sunday afternoon hobby...it is a way of life.

If you get a DDS/DMD degree and a license in my state I can let you do all the free dentistry you want.:laugh:

I enjoy pulling teeth ... as a hobby.

Hi Everyone..
Some forum that talks about the "academic" side of dentistry ...
I have always wanted to engage in dentistry as pleasure but other factors are keeping me away from it.

Like others here, I am not totally clear on what you want from dentistry. If you're looking for academic dentistry for pleasure maybe you could try to find a "Material Science" forum or research forums with a dental orientation. Other than that I am at a loss. Maybe you could volunteer as a dental assistant at a clinic that does research. Like USUAggie said, Dentaltown might be your best bet, or the IADR.