desperate or smart?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virluminous

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

i am currently working as a clinical research coordinator affliated with a prestigous medical school. and recently the school of medicine sent out an email to all employees to announce two new admission officers. I am thinking about meeting them in person and telling them that i am applying this year so they could put a face to a name. mainly b/c my stats are not that good. ( i have plenty of interesting experiences tho)

is that a smart move or simply desperate?

Members don't see this ad.

What would be the context of the meeting? Welcome to the neighborhood? or Would it be like a pre-application evaluation where they could tell you what you need to work on? They might be too busy for this as well since the season is revving up again.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about casually introducing yourself at a mixer or some other organized social event and taking it from there? I worked at a similar institute and there were plenty of opportunities to network at such gatherings. This approach might seem less 'desperate'.

virluminous said:
hey all,

i am currently working as a clinical research coordinator affliated with a prestigous medical school. and recently the school of medicine sent out an email to all employees to announce two new admission officers. I am thinking about meeting them in person and telling them that i am applying this year so they could put a face to a name. mainly b/c my stats are not that good. (i have plenty of interesting experiences tho)

Both are new to the job so probably won't be able to give you very helpful advice on what stats are consistently taken at that school. I don't think it will help.

virluminous said:
hey all,

i am currently working as a clinical research coordinator affliated with a prestigous medical school. and recently the school of medicine sent out an email to all employees to announce two new admission officers. I am thinking about meeting them in person and telling them that i am applying this year so they could put a face to a name. mainly b/c my stats are not that good. ( i have plenty of interesting experiences tho)

Hi there,
Having been on the admissions committee at my medical school, I can tell you that they will spot your phoniness a mile away. The better strategy is to submit the most competitive application that you can and hope for the best. Admission to medical school is not totally about numbers but your numbers have to be adequate. If you have "marginal stats" then you need to have other parts of your application that are above average otherwise, don't do something phony and stupid at the same time.

nbjmd :)

hey thanks for the insights. i will try to look for networking opportunities and "casually" introduce myself. i do know that i have to work my butts off on my ps and experience to compensate my low stats.
thx all

I would say go for it. Don't think they are going to admit you on the spot, but being nice and introducing yourself is a good start. They will see through you if you try to go overboard, but saying hi won't do any harm I think. Think of this way. If you get to know them after you've already been rejected, you will kick yourself when they tell you "I wish I knew you were applying here. We could have set up an interview." You said you have lower stats and will likely be rejected anyway, so what harm would it do?

I dont think you have much to lose by introducing yourself.

Noway said:
I dont think you have much to lose by introducing yourself.
agreed....just don't make an ass of yourself and it can't hurt....

introduce yourself.....dont tell them you are applying.