Desperately help in deciding between U.Arkansas vs Belmont Pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kehlsh

Medic Commando
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDNers,

I'm writing on behalf of my sister who is deciding between U. Arkansas and Belmont (Tn.). She has to decide it by this week. She does not have account here so I am asking instead.

Basically U. Ark. is much cheaper to attend but she likes the atmosphere at Belmont much more. She has been accepted to both school as out of state applicant.

I was wondering if more expensive cost of belmont (around 20k/yr more) is worth it as she likes the atmosphere in there more? Which school is more logical choice to attend. What are some pros and cons for both school? I have no idea about pharmacy school so I would really appreciate the response.

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

20k a year = 80k + interest over 4 years... U. Arkansas is also "more prestigious" according to rankings (whatever they're worth). Should be a no-brainer.

Reactions: 1 user
no-brainer I agree. Unless your sister has no idea about financing (OR your parents/you are rich enough to pay her tuition), why not going to cheaper school? it's same degree at the end anyways.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
20k a year = 80k + interest over 4 years... U. Arkansas is also "more prestigious" according to rankings (whatever they're worth). Should be a no-brainer.

That is exactly my point. The thing is she values social life a lot and she feels she would be miserable in Arkansas. Would it be that much worse to be at Arkansas than Tn.?

That is exactly my point. The thing is she values social life a lot and she feels she would be miserable in Arkansas. Would it be that much worse to be at Arkansas than Tn.?
Well, if she really values social life, then Nashville, TN is actually very good place to be. I lived around there for 2 yrs, and I see what she's talking about exactly.
However, even though all diplomas (or PharmD) are equal among schools, the quality of class can be different between relatively new school (Belmont in this case) and older one.
I had great feeling at the time when I went to Belmont too. However, in long term, going to cheaper school is better option IMO.

any more input would be appreciated!

As a complete outsider to those schools and those areas I'd say U. of Arkansas definitely. My impression (w/e it's worth) is that Arkansas isn't as desirable an area so there'd be more job openings than Nashville (a city so I'd imagine more saturated). It'd be easier getting licensed in Arkansas but can't speak to the rotations (you can tell I don't think highly of Arkansas but would loved to be proved wrong).

It's cheaper too and money is going to be very important, when you're a student it isn't but once you start to, you're more careful with it, hopefully for your sister. Another way to look at it is that if she graduates from U Arkansas, she's probably more likely to be able to afford socializing after graduating. From Belmont (dunno how much more $$ it is) less likely to afford socializing after graduating.

I'd imagine Arkansas has a decent social life though, it's a big public university and big football team, the college itself is like a small city probably.

She should visit both campuses to get a better feel if she hasn't already but on pure professional/financial reasons it would seem U of Arkansas is the choice.

Reactions: 1 user