DO Destroyed my GPA during dual enrollment but did well my last 3 years. Do I have any shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cutler623

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.2

sGPA: 3.3

MCAT: 31 (I'll be retaking it but I hear this year it's much harder)

I took 49 college credits in high school and came out with a measly 2.4GPA. I got into a middle of the pack school and graduated with a mechanical engineering degree three years later with a 3.5GPA (from the university not cumulative) while working full time as a draftsman. I took all my pre-med science classes after graduation at a state school and got a 4.0GPA. I looked at three schools in my area and none would allow me to retake any classes I passed leaving me stuck with that 2.4 GPA I earned while in high school.

I know I have zero chance for an MD school, but would a bottom tier DO look past my disastrous first two years and focus on the last four years of my education? My only concern would be finding a school out of state. I'm in Florida with my wife and she has been dying to get out of Florida for some time (crazy right?). I live right by NSU which sucks because that's probably my best bet.

Members don't see this ad.

cGPA: 3.2

sGPA: 3.3

MCAT: 31 (I'll be retaking it but I hear this year it's much harder)

I took 49 college credits in high school and came out with a measly 2.4GPA. I got into a middle of the pack school and graduated with a mechanical engineering degree three years later with a 3.5GPA (from the university not cumulative) while working full time as a draftsman. I took all my pre-med science classes after graduation at a state school and got a 4.0GPA. I looked at three schools in my area and none would allow me to retake any classes I passed leaving me stuck with that 2.4 GPA I earned while in high school.

I know I have zero chance for an MD school, but would a bottom tier DO look past my disastrous first two years and focus on the last four years of my education? My only concern would be finding a school out of state. I'm in Florida with my wife and she has been dying to get out of Florida for some time (crazy right?). I live right by NSU which sucks because that's probably my best bet.

1) Do not re-take a 31
2) You have a 3.5GPA from college.
3) You aced your pre-reqs. So in reality you could say your college GPA is above 3.5 and your science GPA as well for sure.

You are fine for the vast majority of DO programs. And I think given your very solid college performance and upward trend there are some lower tier MD programs that could be in striking distance as they are willing to look past that showing in high school when you were a 16/17 year old. It's certainly worth an application. The thing is being an Fl resident(if you are) your chances by far and away of finding an MD school will be in Fl. Something to consider with you and your family. But all in all you sound in much better shape than you might think you are; I think there are some schools in Fl that might give consideration to you. Even OOS, there are some lower tier MD schools I think you might be competitive for.

Reactions: 1 users
1) Do not re-take a 31
2) You have a 3.5GPA from college.
3) You aced your pre-reqs. So in reality you could say your college GPA is above 3.5 and your science GPA as well for sure.
Thanks for the reply!
The college classes I took in high school count and are shown on my transcript as a regular class. The 3.5 was basically my gpa in engineering school only and my 3.2gpa is including my post-bac classes. What would you say my chances of an interview are if I applied to the lowest ten DO schools out of state? I know on paper I'm a very poor Canadate but I think I'll be ok if I can snag an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply!
The college classes I took in high school count and are shown on my transcript as a regular class. The 3.5 was basically my gpa in engineering school only and my 3.2gpa is including my post-bac classes. What would you say my chances of an interview are if I applied to the lowest ten DO schools out of state? I know on paper I'm a very poor Canadate but I think I'll be ok if I can snag an interview.

What was your overall cumulative GPA from college without the post-bacc? What was it including the post-bacc and college but excluding your high school work?

If your a Florida resident youve got a solid shot at all the florida schools. That high school 2.4 is certainly not a death sentence