Destroyer 2013 GC # 26

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LazyP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain the answer to me?

Which of the following compounds would be most soluble in NH3?

A) K2CO3
B) NaBr
C) AgBr
D) CaCl2
E) LiNO3

The answer is C because transition elements tend to form complex ions. Ag reacts with NH3 to form Ag(NH3)+.

Does it come from the solubility rules? Forgive me been doing questions all day...

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone explain the answer to me?

Which of the following compounds would be most soluble in NH3?

A) K2CO3
B) NaBr
C) AgBr
D) CaCl2
E) LiNO3

The answer is C because transition elements tend to form complex ions. Ag reacts with NH3 to form Ag(NH3)+.

Does it come from the solubility rules? Forgive me been doing questions all day...
Forgive me been not doing questions all day...

I guess you can look to see if they are acidic or basic salts...Since NH3 is a base, acidic salt should be more soluble in it...in all the answer choices except C the cation is negligible because it's the conjugate acid of a strong base...so it leaves C as the answer...

these are types of question that require a little more effort...but the answer in the back of the Destroyer is a way to help you recognize such problems. It won't get any more complicated than Destroyer, so just memorize the ones you feel you have never seen before and make sure to recognize it on the real deal if it were to show up. Gold mine basically.