destroyer 2013 Oc #181 and GC #190

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leia03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are two questions, each from organic and general chem section in destroyer.

oc #187
An organic chemist wanted to deliver 15.6 ml of a liquid in an experiment. Which should she employ?
answer: Pipet

gc #190
A student wanted to measure 12.3ml of .20M NaOH. Which should she use?
Answer: Buret

According to the answers from destroyer, it said that buret is used for known volume. In that case, shouldn't the answer for #187 also buret? but why pipet? What is the difference between these two questions leading different answers?

My best guess is that buret is for measurement, and pipet is used for moving known volume. It that right?
Please help.

Thx in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you are correct in your thinking. The best way to explain this would be how I learned in my gen chem class. Printed on chemistry glassware is either "TD" or "TC". TD means "To Deliver" and TC means "To Contain". Usually pipets are calibrated to deliver a liquid of known amount whereas burets are only calibrated to contain.

I hope this helps.

They key words here are DELIVER AND MEASURE. If you just want to Deliver the liquid, you use a pipette. However, if you would like to measure a volume, you use a buret.