Destroyer Ochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KentUT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting so frustrated by this section.. I can seriously barely answer any of these, let alone understand the explanations. My o-chem teacher never used any of these reagents (he's not very good) and it is showing. I am really good at EaS, Sn1,Sn2.. but all of these carboxylic acid deriv, carbonyl stuff and aldol cond. are killing me. I already watched chads, but might watch some of them again. Any suggestions? i thought this would be one of my stronger sections (A in both ochems) but i am seriously struggling.

Members don't see this ad.

I am is same situation as you are. I have watched Chad's ochem almost three times but Ochem destroyer I am only getting 50% right. I am trying to understand patterns of reactions now, which somewhat making better sense such as understanding mechanism.

its really discouraging. My teacher would always shortcut reactions..which was nice at the time but killing me now. I am going to try to memorize the road maps and look for patterns as well. Just wish i didn't have to spend as much time studying for this section... BIO is calling my name.

I am getting so frustrated by this section.. I can seriously barely answer any of these, let alone understand the explanations. My o-chem teacher never used any of these reagents (he's not very good) and it is showing. I am really good at EaS, Sn1,Sn2.. but all of these carboxylic acid deriv, carbonyl stuff and aldol cond. are killing me. I already watched chads, but might watch some of them again. Any suggestions? i thought this would be one of my stronger sections (A in both ochems) but i am seriously struggling.

First, don't let your frustration get in the way! Going through the Destroyer is supposed to kick your butt, at least the first time. Try making notecards of all of those reactions. That helped me. Read the explanations and try and apply what it says to the questions. Keep going and stay motivated. You'll get it soon!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Patel... I will definitely make some flash cards. Just have to make it through right! Do what you gotta do.

Does anyone understand why A is the answer? Why would a strong nucleophile and a secondary substituted leaving group undergo elimination?

hahaha i posted a thread similar to this the other day.

I feel your pain. I feel like an idiot doing Destroyer, like the only thing I came out of ochem was knowing how to do nomenclature and EAS.

My teacher also made up reagents not used in any of the text books. Lol. It's been very tough... but I think I will suffer and continue feeling like an idiot the first time around, and then go back and do Destroyer a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th time if I have to.

Does anyone understand why A is the answer? Why would a strong nucleophile and a secondary substituted leaving group undergo elimination?

NaOCH3 is also a strong base. So sn2 and e2 compete. So I guess since its secondary, E2 will be favored and undergo elimination to form the alkene.....at least that's what I understand... could be completely wrong o_o