Destroyer orgo #118

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prsndwg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Not understanding #118 on 09 destroyer Orgo..
Why does a weak base do SN2 reaction and also if it does, then whats wrong with b?

Members don't see this ad.

Strong bases will favor E2 reactions, where a weak base will favor SN2 reactions. I don't know the question but that's all I can help on on that part.

Strong bases will favor E2 reactions, where a weak base will favor SN2 reactions. I don't know the question but that's all I can help on on that part.
What would you consider NAN3? Strong or weak base? i think its weak, but is it a strong nucleophile?

Hi,

Not understanding #118 on 09 destroyer Orgo..
Why does a weak base do SN2 reaction and also if it does, then whats wrong with b?
When you are doing SN2 rxn you must look for inversion in stereochem...thats why b is wrong....also SN2 happens in presence of a polar protic solvent..hope this helps :)

Members don't see this ad :)
When you are doing SN2 rxn you must look for inversion in stereochem...thats why b is wrong....also SN2 happens in presence of a polar protic solvent..hope this helps :)

??? are you sure about that?

I thought SN2 happens in the presence of polar "aprotic" solvent, so that it does not interfere with the carbocation intermediate.

??? are you sure about that?

I thought SN2 happens in the presence of polar "aprotic" solvent, so that it does not interfere with the carbocation intermediate.

It is faster in an aprotic solvent but be careful, there's no carbocation intermediate in the Sn2 reaction, just a transition state.