E27

7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
What is the importance of knowing the "details" about Bio? I am trying to understand why EK Bio would even print a review book if it didn't cover what was necessary for the MCAT.

My background in bio is weak, so I realize that it will be smart to use either Berkeley Review or TPRH for a "detailed" approach, but is this even necessary, for anyone?

As of now, I plan on using EK Bio, EK 1001 Bio, and TBR Bio for passages. I also have the TPRH Science Workbook. However, I only plan on using EK Bio for content, not TBR, as so many people have mentioned how it is too detailed.

Why use TBR/TPRH Bio? A lot of people respond to questions asking which book to use by saying "use EK for non-detailed approach, TPRH/BR for detailed approach," but why does one need a detailed approach?

NYR56

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
The EK book has everything you need to know for the MCAT. That said, a more detailed approach will help you with the passage based questions. The knowledge won't be tested directly but if you're not doing well with interpreting the passages, the extra knowledge base could give you a boost.

You say your background in bio is weak, does that just mean you haven't taken many courses in it? If that's the case, I'd still use the EK book. If you think you aren't very good at it, perhaps the other books will be useful. I've never seen them though, so you'll have to see what others say.

Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Status
Medical Student
What is the importance of knowing the "details" about Bio? I am trying to understand why EK Bio would even print a review book if it didn't cover what was necessary for the MCAT.
If you read through the 3/27 thread, you'll see that many of us found this past MCAT to be VERY detail-oriented. You might want to learn the details pat...just in case it shows up on your exam. It can't hurt your understanding...it'll only enhance it.

Dial71

10+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Myself, I used EK and I did fine (14 BS). I had only taken the minimum Bio reqs as well. I attempted to study from TBR, but I could not take the overload of information. If your bio preparation is weak, you should study from your textbooks rather than TBR, which, is a review book.

That said, you really don't know what you'll be tested on until test day. My BS had tons of Eco/Organismal biology, which I did not expect. I would have never thought to study those particular subjects in depth. This is the downfall of studying detailed information IMO.

NYR56

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
If your bio preparation is weak, you should study from your textbooks rather than TBR, which, is a review book.
You should never study with a textbook. Even the detail oriented review books don't have nearly as much extra info as a textbook would have. Too much information WILL hurt you because it will take away from you learning/practicing relevant material.