Details of IRR (Individual Ready Reserve)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fisher

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently filling out my appointment papers for an Army spot at USUHS, and I would like to know the details of the IRR obligation. Are there a certain amount of training days required per year while on the IRR list? And have any medical officers been called off the IRR for the current Iraq war?

I am aware that the longer you stay in the military the less IRR time you serve.

Can anyone out there help me out? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently filling out my appointment papers for an Army spot at USUHS, and I would like to know the details of the IRR obligation. Are there a certain amount of training days required per year while on the IRR list? And have any medical officers been called off the IRR for the current Iraq war?

I am aware that the longer you stay in the military the less IRR time you serve.

Can anyone out there help me out? Thanks.

IRR is a category of reserve duty that requires no drilling and offers no stipend. It is an administrative status where your commission remains in force but you don't advance in rank or acquire "good" time toward a reserve retirement. You can go from IRR to drilling reserve provided you are physically qualified and are accepted. Under the law, you can also be involuntarily activated to active duty service from IRR, but this has not yet been done to medical doctors (others, yes.)

When you accept your commission to 0-3 at graduation, your IRR (reserve duty) "clock" starts, so to speak. From that point, you owe eight years of reserve duty which, if not spent on active duty or as a drilling reservist must be spent in the IRR. Now with USUHS, you incur a 7-year active-duty obligation. Were you not to go to residency at all in that time except for your internship, which does not count toward USUHS payback, you would owe no additional years of service in the IRR at the end of your seven years (this is true even if you were to resume residency training or otherwise extend your active service obligations.) Likewise with HPSP: if you take a 3-year scholarship, graduate, do a military internship and then 3 years as a flight surgeon or GMO then get out, you have remaining 4 years reserve service, which if not spent in another reserve duty status would be spent in the IRR.

The IRR obligation depends on 1, your commission and 2, your start of active service. It runs concurrent with all military active-duty time, whether in a residency training program or not. Conversely, it does not run while you are in a civilian training program if that is prior to starting your active time. So if you get a deferment for one or more years, you get no credit for that time.

Where the military gets sly is in delaying releasing you from the IRR. You may be eligible to be released after the eight years, but that does not mean the reserve commands will automatically do that. You have to request release and to be decommissioned. When you do that, they send you your honorable discharge certificate. Only then are you really done.

Thanks for the information.

Members don't see this ad :)
IRR is a category of reserve duty that requires no drilling and offers no stipend. It is an administrative status where your commission remains in force but you don't advance in rank or acquire "good" time toward a reserve retirement. You can go from IRR to drilling reserve provided you are physically qualified and are accepted. Under the law, you can also be involuntarily activated to active duty service from IRR, but this has not yet been done to medical doctors (others, yes.)

... You have to request release and to be decommissioned. When you do that, they send you your honorable discharge certificate. Only then are you really done.

Hello orbitsurgMD,

I am on the ANC side of things and on IRR or "sustainment" while I complete my RN, (this June). However since OBLC will not be an option for me for this year due to timeline of licensure adn OBLC start date I have added the FNP certificate to follow my licensure.

While I am waiting to hear back from my recruiter regarding updating my packet and contract I wonder if I may get yanked out of my FNP program midway though?

I am trying to create a new date of entry to next June, not this June. If I could go this August I could strategize and plan things to change but since I will be in OBLC limbo I cannot. After being a full time student for a few years I have not funds to carry me through and need to seek employment, (and do not want to only get a five month RN job, that doesn't seem ethical...a year min, okay). Also, since I am in the progression at my univeristy for FNP natually, I do not want to just stop due to the OBLC limbo.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
MyrnaGen

IRR AND LIVING ABROUD QUESTION.

4 YEAR HPSP. 3 YEAR IM ARMY INTERNSHIP/RESIDENCY. 4 YEAR STAFF INTERNIST. A few extra months for my last $20 k ISP. Enjoyed my time in the army. One deployment. Three duty stations. I will get out with 7 years + 4 months of my 8 year HPSP MSO as active Duty. That leaves me 8 months IRR.

IRR question. I plan to go off active duty to living abroud with my wive's new job ( the reason I'm getting out). Can I live abroad for my remaining 8 months of MSO in the IRR? If not that will be very devistating to my wife and kids after being away from them for a nine month deployment!

IRR question. I plan to go off active duty to living abroud with my wive's new job ( the reason I'm getting out). Can I live abroad for my remaining 8 months of MSO in the IRR? If not that will be very devistating to my wife and kids after being away from them for a nine month deployment!

This definitely seems like the kind of situation that would be much easier to seek forgiveness than get permission. I'm sure there have been military spouses, etc that lived abroad during their IRR time.

IRR enrollment does not obligate you to live in CONUS.

Also, remember to resign your commission when your MSO is up; it doesn't happen automatically.

My understanding is that if you're not on orders, the Army doesn't have any say in your life. You could be in the active reserve and live abroad as long as you make it back for your drill obligation...

So in my research of retirement points, it says that IRR counts toward retirement points. So do those 6 week blocks of AD activation every year to do OBLC and medical roations for those of us who were/are HPSP students. Although, not very many points.