Determining year in school correctly for AMCAS coursework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SliceNDice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am inputting my coursework into AMCAS and want to make sure I understand it correctly given my somewhat usual schooling record. I went to one college for one full year (fall semester and spring semester), after that I transferred I went to another school for one full year (fall, winter, spring quarters), plus a summer and fall quarter before I left this school. Finally, I started at the third school where I completed two more complete years (also on the quarter system and did summer quarters each year). Given this history, should I be determining my year in school for all classes based on the semester ranges as laid out on page 27 of the AMCAS guide? Is 35 semester credits the strict cutoff for each year in school or is there some leeway around this number? As it is now, my credits would hit 35 in the middle of a term, so I don't know if I should categorize two classes that were taken in the same term as different years in school. Finally, I want to clarify how AP courses count towards these 35 credits/year. Do these not count towards that limit? I hope these questions make sense, please tell me if you'd clarification. Thanks so much for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Do I run the risk of them returning the app to me if they feel there are too many mistakes in this area? When I called AAMC they said they would return it if there were >10 mistakes, but the guy was super robotic and unhelpful. This is how they answered when I emailed them these questions:

Dear XXXX,
Thank you for contacting AAMC Services. My name is Michael. Listed below is the Year in school chart. Please enter your year in school accordingly. You are encouraged to complete our customer service satisfaction survey after you have read this email. Please see the link below.

High School (HS) College-level coursework taken while in high school

Freshman (FR) 0 through 35 semester hours

Sophomore (SO) 36 through 65 semester hours

Junior (JR) 66 through 95 semester hours

Senior (SR) 96+ semester hours