Detroit and Cleveland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tounchie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
obviously i'm not in the position to be concerned about this cuz i havent gotten into either school (case and mercy), but ive been told that these schools are located in dangerous dangerous areas. If I receive interviews from these schools, I might have to consider not going if I get sufficient interview invites from other schools. yeah yeah i might sound ignorant right now but im a "better to be safe than sorry" type of person. i'm from a very safe/rich neighborhood so I'm more acclimated to these communities.

does anyone wanna share their experiences in these two cities?

Members don't see this ad.

I grew up in the suburbs in another state. Went to Detroit for an interview and I loved the city.

Are there bad areas? Yes.
But if you look at violent crimes these days more of it has to do with psychos than with poverty/inner city environments.

Nothing ignorant about pointing out the obvious and easily observable. The areas are bad. Friend's family moved out from Cleveland few years ago bc the place is becoming more and more dangerous as the days go. And about Detroit, the cops posted an "enter at your own risk" sign. Nuff said.

Only go to these places if they're the only ones to offer you interviews.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
obviously i'm not in the position to be concerned about this cuz i havent gotten into either school (case and mercy), but ive been told that these schools are located in dangerous dangerous areas. If I receive interviews from these schools, I might have to consider not going if I get sufficient interview invites from other schools. yeah yeah i might sound ignorant right now but im a "better to be safe than sorry" type of person. i'm from a very safe/rich neighborhood so I'm more acclimated to these communities.

does anyone wanna share their experiences in these two cities?
I didn't apply to Detroit for the same reason! Whatever school you choose, you should consider where it's located. I have friends that go to Detroit Mercy and they love the school but are definitely not staying in the area after graduating.

The area directly around CWRU is not bad at all. In fact I felt it much safer than the North Philadelphia area.

I went to the pre-dental workshop at UDM in June. I personally loved the school. I felt very safe. I talked to a bunch of the students there and they said they have absolutely no problems. The school is gated and they have security on the premises. Not sure about Cleveland though.

I'm Canadian, so if I were to attend UDM I would stay in Windsor and drive over the border everyday. That's what a lot of the students do there. The school isn't very far away from the border.

I'm Canadian, so if I were to attend UDM I would stay in Windsor and drive over the border everyday. That's what a lot of the students do there. The school isn't very far away from the border.

it's a hassle to go through the border security every time though. and yeah ive lived i windsor before.