Detroit area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandals246

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Does anyone have any advice about the different IM programs in Detroit - specifically if there are any differences between the allopathic or osteopathic programs?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Among community programs in Michigan the biggest names are Beaumont Hospital (Royal Oak) for MD and Botsford Hospital (Farmington Hills) for DO. I rotated in Beaumont, although not in IM, and thought it was a great hospital to work at.

I have several friends in the Providence Hospital (Southfield) IM MD residency and they are happy with the program. They do fill it up mostly with IMG prematches. I heard that the atmosphere there is a bit competitive, as they have quite a few fellowships that everyone is trying to get. They also have some DO spots. As I understand they have one DO cardiology fellowship position that they often fill from inhouse. I did an IM rotation there and it was alright. I wasn't particularly impressed with the program or the hospital, but there is nothing specifically bad about it.

Oakwood Hospital (Dearborn) has a really good MD residency. I did a sub-I there and really liked it. Great atmosphere, good schedule, very nice people. Definitely a pleasant place to work at. I did several electives at Oakwood and was pretty impressed. There only have a Geriatric fellowship right now, but I hear they are working on starting a Cardiology fellowship. The Oakwood system has a DO IM residency at a different hospital in Michigan, but I don't know anything about that one.

For DOs there is also the Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital. And it's supposed to be pretty good. I good friend of mine is at the Huron Valley DO IM program. He said it was a very pleasant program to work at, albeit a bit small, with good hours and a nice atmosphere. He did have to do a lot of driving as they are affiliated with the Detroit Medical Center and rotate through there.

Good luck.

Among community programs in Michigan the biggest names are Beaumont Hospital (Royal Oak) for MD and Botsford Hospital (Farmington Hills) for DO. I rotated in Beaumont, although not in IM, and thought it was a great hospital to work at.

I have several friends in the Providence Hospital (Southfield) IM MD residency and they are happy with the program. They do fill it up mostly with IMG prematches. I heard that the atmosphere there is a bit competitive, as they have quite a few fellowships that everyone is trying to get. They also have some DO spots. As I understand they have one DO cardiology fellowship position that they often fill from inhouse. I did an IM rotation there and it was alright. I wasn't particularly impressed with the program or the hospital, but there is nothing specifically bad about it.

Oakwood Hospital (Dearborn) has a really good MD residency. I did a sub-I there and really liked it. Great atmosphere, good schedule, very nice people. Definitely a pleasant place to work at. I did several electives at Oakwood and was pretty impressed. There only have a Geriatric fellowship right now, but I hear they are working on starting a Cardiology fellowship. The Oakwood system has a DO IM residency at a different hospital in Michigan, but I don't know anything about that one.

For DOs there is also the Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital. And it's supposed to be pretty good. I good friend of mine is at the Huron Valley DO IM program. He said it was a very pleasant program to work at, albeit a bit small, with good hours and a nice atmosphere. He did have to do a lot of driving as they are affiliated with the Detroit Medical Center and rotate through there.

Good luck.

Dont forget Henry Ford for MD's - it (almost) has a national reputation due to their EM and CCM training programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget wayne state/dmc. I was surprised at their cardiology and GI match list. When its research you need I dont think Henry Ford, Beaumont can hold a candle to the research at wayne. Most of their residents are IMGs but the fact they are matching with good results make it even more remarkable.

Thanks for the advice! I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether to go for the DO match (which is before the MD match) or the MD match.
Any thoughts?

Does anyone know how friendly the Allopathic hospitals are to DOs, considering how many osteopathic programs are in the area? Or how easy it is to get AOA approval to do the allopathic programs?

I'm looking at: Botsford, St. John Providence, and Henry Ford Macomb for DO
and Henry Ford, Wayne State, Beaumont, and St John for MD.

Thanks again!