Detroit Mercy vs Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RachMSU

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know everyone is probably sick of these threads, but honestly, I am having the hardest time deciding between Detroit and Tufts. I live in Michigan so it would be easier to go to Detroit. I really did love Tufts, only thing I disliked was the large class size and how expensive it is. The main thing I dislike about Detroit is that they are moving there school in two years and they are not sure where, possible downtown and that is just not a safe neighborhood. Cost is a major factor here for me single I come from a single parent home. Anyways, I would like some input for people that go to these schools or anyone. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If it was between those two, I think I would have to choose Tufts.

Usually, its best to just go to the cheaper school. All dental schools can give you what you need to succeed. However, in this case, I think the price tag should be ignored. They are both expensive. True, Tufts does cost more, but I think the difference is worth it.

For one, I would not want to live in Detroit at all. 4 years? No thanks. Boston has much more to offer and is a lot safer. Location is important for me, so based on this alone, I would have to go with Tufts.

Secondly, looking at Tufts, you get a great clinical education and you are going to a school that has an incredible reputation. Not saying that you cant get a good education at Detroit, but Tufts is more well known. And reputation is important to me.

I dont know much about Detroit, so Im not sure how the facilities fare when compared to Tufts.

Bottom line for me, if Im not comfortable in a city, I will not choose to go there if I have other options. 4 years is a long time and you need to make sure that you can live there without any worries or concerns.

Therefore, if you can see yourself living in Detroit for 4 years, then save some cash and go there. Otherwise, take Tufts.

okay, so there is this thing that detroit is not a safe place...okay so yeah back in the 80s this was very true, but I can tell you now, that while this may not be the safest place in the world (what big city is?), u will be perfectly safe going to school here. I'm a D4 @ detroit, and have lived in different cities across the country, so i think i can judge fairly. I'd like to know what you're looking for in school, as far as curicullum, social life, etc, and I can tell u if this place would be a good pick for you. but please dont pass detroit up just because its in Detroit! (believe it or not, there are actually some pros to that) trust me, there are plenty of reasons to not go here (as there are for every school , incl Tufts), but i dont want to bias u unfairly. I will say that they are both excellent schools, comparable in strenghts...anyways...

Members don't see this ad :)
So, what am I looking for in a school. Well first let me answer some of the questions that Gavin posted to help make a decision.

1. Are your parents wealthy? NOPE, and far from it. It's only my mom as my dad passed away when I was younger so cost is for sure a HUGE factor.
2.Did you get a scholarship? Nope :(
3.Do you favor one city over the other? I liked Boston better, it's new to me, and was way nicer than Detroit however I have never lived in a big city
4.What are your study habits like? I tend to study on my own.
5. Do you have friends at either of these schools? I have a friend that is a D1 at Detroit right now and I am sure many people from my undergrad will be going there next Fall while I don't know anyone at Tufts.
6. What is most important to you in choosing a dental school (facilities, faculty, patient base, tuition, weather, etc.)? I am looking for a great clinical program with good facilities (and I know Tufts ans Detroit have that). I am looking for a class that is very close and is not down-your-throat competitive with a decent student to faculty ratio (1 to 6 or so). I am looking for faculty that want to see you succeed and will go out of their way to make sure you learn everything. Weather: well the both the same. I am also looking to have somewhat of a social life since I will be one of the very few single people entering dental school. I want a school with a large patient pool, where you do not have a problem filling your requirements.

Any comments would be great!

From the sounds of it, and given what I know of both schools, either one would be fine for you. Detroit would be cheaper, but not by much, not enough in my opinion to make it the determining factor, especially if u liked everything else about Boston. Detroit in my opinion has got a couple of things going for it, namely, pt pop demographics. u see things here that very few other dental students see (path). u also get a HUGE volume of clinical experience, albeit mostly in basic procedures (so u will not likely get to place or observe any implants, but you will get VERY good at restoring things will amalgam and doing single crowns, dentures, etc) u'll get lots of complex prosth cases, but many times pts can't afford it, so it doesnt pan out (an obvious con) when I was interviewing for GPR posns, it amazed me just how much more clinically experienced I was compared to other students. Tufts is one of the few places that comes close, but not quite.
There are definitely ppl here (faculty/staff/classmates) rooting for you to suceed. a smaller school has advantages. ofcourse, there will be the gunnners and "faculty to avoid", but on the whole its a very conducive environ.
Tufts strikes me as a place that places a lot of pride in rank and prestige, so they will be "making sure" their students do well, if u know what I mean. I hear they also do a lot of their labwork. we still waxup our dentures, and sometimes we trim our dies, but thats pretty much the extent, no casting or waxing up crowns, etc.
I guess it comes down to, if u want to save some money, but still live in a fun city, have an awesome group of friends and classmates, graduate as an excellent clinician, while avoiding some the labwork, go to detroit.
Spend more for the much nicer collegiate city, more recognized name, stable environment (detroit's immediate future is a little questionable), more affluent pt base = more ideal tx.
other than that they are pretty comparable
the choice is yours, good luck!