Detroit (UDM) online interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey guys,

I was lucky enough to receive an interview invite from UDM this early in the cycle. One thing that makes me nervous is the online interview that we have to answer prior to our in person interview.

Does anyone have an inkling as to what this would be about? Is this something new or has it been implemented previously as well? because I dont think they had this last year.

Any info is greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! I got one as well and am kinda feeling the same way and wondering the same thing. I like that they at least give us unlimited practice to get used to the video interview platform, but still nervous about it

Congrats! I got one as well and am kinda feeling the same way and wondering the same thing. I like that they at least give us unlimited practice to get used to the video interview platform, but still nervous about it

I haven't opened it yet, but can you practice your answers or is it a timed/one time thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't opened it yet, but can you practice your answers or is it a timed/one time thing?
you can open it and register without doing the interview right away. But from what I understand you can practice like random questions just to get used to the platform unlimited times, but once you do the real interview its a one time thing. But in the real interview you get asked pre-recorded questions and then they give you time to prep a response and then a set amount of time to respond.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe there is a 30 second countdown before it starts recording you after each question.

Pretty nervous about this video recording thing though. I wonder what questions they'll ask.

I'm not too sure about what the point of the online interview is. I already have an in-person interview date set with them, if I completely bomb the online interview, do I still go for show? Shouldn't the online interview be done prior to handing out interview dates?

I am extremely scared for this video interview. What exactly is the point of this? Why cant they just ask us those questions during the actual interview? Also, it is the first time i have heard a school making applicants pay for a background check BEFORE acceptance. This school is very odd.

Canada has something similar to this called Casper, where you watch situational clips and then have to type out your response, but in our case it is a video.

the majority of last year interviewees answered the secondary questions by typing out the answer and emailed to them, but I heard they changed to video interview pretty late in the cycle. If I remember correctly, the video questions and typing questions are the same, I think it consists of 4 questions.
Good Luck Yall

Having a 30 second countdown wouldn't be utilized as prep-time in my case. I'd probably have a panic attack.

I do well right on the spot (way more candid)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Same lol kinda nervous about the online interview even though I've done it before. Would be interesting to see someone else's experiences before doing it myself. Anyone down to go first haha?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a thread where they talked about it?

I just did it. Kinda tough cuz the one minute time limit sneaks up on you. One of the questions I answered and contradicted myself due to trying to beat the time limit, just glad it's over lol

I just did it. Kinda tough cuz the one minute time limit sneaks up on you. One of the questions I answered and contradicted myself due to trying to beat the time limit, just glad it's over lol

How many questions (were they tricky)? Apparently last year there were 4 video questions

How many questions (were they tricky)? Apparently last year there were 4 video questions
4, and nah they weren't tricky. The main thing that sucked was the time limit

Yeah for sure. I'm sure you did well though don't sweat it! I'll be taking mine either tomorrow or Friday.

Yeah for sure. I'm sure you did well though don't sweat it! I'll be taking mine either tomorrow or Friday.
Haha yeah it's done with now so it is what it is. But yes good luck !

Are they general questions similar to the practice ones? Or are there sneaky ethical questions we should look out for?

Are they general questions similar to the practice ones? Or are there sneaky ethical questions we should look out for?
Pretty general, like strengths and weakness type stuff

would you advise us to utilize the time prep or just answer it candidly

Okay so I just finished the online interview and on the third question, it cut me off after 5 seconds and went straight to "saving your response" and then went to the next question and I am freaking out!! I didn't even get to answer the third question! Has this happened to anyone/what can I do? Please helppp

Okay so I just finished the online interview and on the third question, it cut me off after 5 seconds and went straight to "saving your response" and then went to the next question and I am freaking out!! I didn't even get to answer the third question! Has this happened to anyone/what can I do? Please helppp

It probably isn't a huge deal. I'd just email the school and let them know what happened.

I ended up calling them and they were able to delete my previous interview and send me a link for a new one! If this happens to anybody else, just call them and ask if they can send you another link!

The interview isn't that bad. Do use your prep time to help develop a full answer. IMO I don't think the practice helps with the interview, but it does help familiarize you with the platform! Goodluck!

The interview isn't that bad. Do use your prep time to help develop a full answer. IMO I don't think the practice helps with the interview, but it does help familiarize you with the platform! Goodluck!

how much time do you have to prep and how much time do you have to answer?

microphone works during set up but not practice run... suggestions?

Anyone felt like they didn't perform well on the online interview?? I just took mine and I know I did not perform 100%

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone felt like they didn't perform well on the online interview?? I just took mine and I know I did not perform 100%
Don't worry dude I doubt anyone killed it, especially with the limited time

I took mine a few days and felt pretty bad about my answers/ran out of time on almost all of them... I feel like they'll use this as an introduction before they interview us individually right?

I took mine a few days and felt pretty bad about my answers/ran out of time on almost all of them... I feel like they'll use this as an introduction before they interview us individually right?

Some of mine I ran out of time as I was about to wrap up my closing sentence so it probably cut me off. I don't think it's big deal though as long as you answered the question.

I stuttered for one of the answers and I was thought I was done for. sorry you all felt the same way let's rock the real Interview

Do you guys know if they still record the video while it's saving your response?

For those pm'ing me trying to get the questions, it wouldn't be fair for all the other applicants, including myself, who already did the interview. It's honestly not that bad just do interview.

Reactions: 9 users
For those pm'ing me trying to get the questions, it wouldn't be fair for all the other applicants, including myself, who already did the interview. It's honestly not that bad just do interview.

Same. Please stop PMing me. Its not that bad, just try your best.

Thank you for saying this lol. You guys will be fine. I literally played some of my favorite songs while the interface saved my answers and that helped me relax. Find your relaxation method and get through it. Patients are not going to send you a list beforehand about what questions they're going to ask

Four people have messaged me since I started this thread. Cmon guys, there was even a person who said the number and type of questions we'll receive. That alone is more info than we should give out. We are applying to be healthcare professionals here... you're not doing yourself justice by trying to cheat the system this early on...

Four people have messaged me since I started this thread. Cmon guys, there was even a person who said the number and type of questions we'll receive. That alone is more info than we should give out. We are applying to be healthcare professionals here... you're not doing yourself justice by trying to cheat the system this early on...
Agreed...So what questions did they ask?

Just kidding

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

when my interview got messed up, I called admissions about it and called it the "online interview" and the lady told me it wasn't an interview, it was their version of supplemental questions! That made me feel better about not doing as well as I could have on it