Detroit vs. Newark residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyingdonut

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is might be splitting hairs/hard to compare, but any thoughts on Detroit vs. Newark in terms of pathology? I know the Detroit programs are generally better known, but how do they compare in terms of overall acuity, rates of penetrating trauma, and variety of intoxications (yeah, I'm asking about the drug scene in each city haha)?

Would really appreciate comments from people who have trained/practiced in either or both cities!

Members don't see this ad.

Detroit has a large number of residencies. As such there's a range of characteristics across those programs.

If you want more trauma and drunks, think more Henry Ford or Detroit Receiving downtown over Beaumont in suburban Royal Oak (Detroit, but not really).

Can't speak for Newark, but good acuity and pathology at the more well-known D programs.

Detroit as a city is on the up from a decade ago, lot of new plans in the works.

I trained at Sinai-Grace Hospital which is the sister residency program of Detroit Receiving hospital under the Detroit medical center umbrella. Saw all kinds of pathology and lots of GSW/trauma. Also got my fair share of intoxications and OD's. As an ER resident at Sinai grace we had dibs on ALL the procedures EVERY DAY (No rotating schedules with the trauma sx residents): thoracotomies, chest tubes, intubations, crics, etc. Also the US director of the US fellowship at DMC was at Sinai Grace so we got lots of hands-on ultrasound experience. It prepared me well for my attending life. my 2 cents

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
never been to detroit, but i cant imagine more grit, trauma, and full blown aids than university hospital, newark. K2/spice and heroin are the house specials

That being said, one can find decent neighborhoods in the Detroit metro area to live in. I don’t know if you can say that about Newark lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is might be splitting hairs/hard to compare, but any thoughts on Detroit vs. Newark in terms of pathology? I know the Detroit programs are generally better known, but how do they compare in terms of overall acuity, rates of penetrating trauma, and variety of intoxications (yeah, I'm asking about the drug scene in each city haha)?

Would really appreciate comments from people who have trained/practiced in either or both cities!

If you want ODs, you'll get them in all their varieties in Detroit. I trained at Henry Ford downtown, great place, great pathology, and it's a well-run, well-funded hospital system. Population wore me down after 3 years, but it was good for me, and I'd do it again.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! And Merry Christmas!

@witzelsucht what part of your training did you spend in Newark? Can PM you if you don't want to share on here.

Edit: please keep the responses coming! Would be especially helpful to find out a bit more about the Newark area and its programs from anyone who's familiar.

Last edited:
That being said, one can find decent neighborhoods in the Detroit metro area to live in. I don’t know if you can say that about Newark lol...

Completely false. Newark is a dump and you would not live there but Montclair which is 15 minutes away is super nice. You can also live in Jersey City, Hoboken, Weehawken etc. Each is a short train or ferry ride to NYC and have a TON of stuff to do in them. I would personally live in Montclair given all of those choices though. It has a nice suburb feel with a plethora of restaurant options, and if you want a big city it is easy to get into NYC.

I cannot imagine a type of pathology you wouldn't see in Newark. It is as hood as they come with a massive immigrant population/ the receiving hospital for a large international airport and the only level 1 trauma center in the area. The nice thing about University hospital is that Newark is a horribly underserved city but it is surrounded by extremely nice towns. You dont have to spend any time living in an actual ghetto. You just get off the highway and drive a couple of blocks to the hospital.

Cost of living can be an issue.

Completely false. Newark is a dump and you would not live there but Montclair which is 15 minutes away is super nice. You can also live in Jersey City, Hoboken, Weehawken etc. Each is a short train or ferry ride to NYC and have a TON of stuff to do in them. I would personally live in Montclair given all of those choices though. It has a nice suburb feel with a plethora of restaurant options, and if you want a big city it is easy to get into NYC.

I cannot imagine a type of pathology you wouldn't see in Newark. It is as hood as they come with a massive immigrant population/ the receiving hospital for a large international airport and the only level 1 trauma center in the area. The nice thing about University hospital is that Newark is a horribly underserved city but it is surrounded by extremely nice towns. You dont have to spend any time living in an actual ghetto. You just get off the highway and drive a couple of blocks to the hospital.

Cost of living can be an issue.

+1 on this. As an EM resident currently in one of the Newark residencies -- not at UH though :) -- I'd like to add that I think the pathology here is second-to-none. My colleagues and I (attendings included) always find ourselves marveling at the types of diseases that walk into our shop. I remember talking with one of the third year IM residents who said that 'We see patients in the last stage of whatever disease they have,' and I find that to be very true. The patient population that we serve is admittedly on the lower end of low. Histories are sometimes difficult to obtain secondary to low healthcare literacy, but these things, in my humble opinion, are a plus. I'll graduate being comfortable treating VERY VERY sick patients, and I know that my patients in whichever shop I end up with have a higher probability of being more healthcare literate than my current patients.

As for cost of living in surrounding towns, no resident that I know in the hospital lives in Newark, and most of the residents in my program, myself included, live in Jersey City (with an extremely affordable cost of living and 30 minute bus/car/train/ferry ride into Manhattan). Would definitely agree that Montclair is a beautiful city with great restaurants and shops.

If you or anyone else has any questions regarding the area or the residency, don't hesitate to reach out. Love my program and could talk all day about it ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone! This has been really helpful!

@Rangers13 and @Strider_91 can you clarify how trauma code roles are split among em and surgery at university hospital, both for Rutgers residents and Newark BI residents doing their trauma rotation there?

Have you heard of New York City?

Thanks everyone! This has been really helpful!

@Rangers13 and @Strider_91 can you clarify how trauma code roles are split among em and surgery at university hospital, both for Rutgers residents and Newark BI residents doing their trauma rotation there?

Trauma surgery runs all the traumas in Newark unless things have changed recently.

Gotcha. By "running" you guys mean it's trauma at the foot of the bed right (sorry if that's a dumb question)? Based on the residency website looks like 3rd and 4th year residents get the airway.

When I was a student in Newark: UMDNJ was 4 years and Newark Beth Israel was 3.
The pathology I saw there was crazy. Craaaazy.

Funny someone mentioned Montclair; that's where I lived. It was okay.
When I made my rank list, both Newark programs went straight to the bottom, though.
I hated *living* in NJ for so many reasons.