Devastated with my organic chemistry grade.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barrons12101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
After the final exam, my grade dropped from A to A-. I didn't perform well on it because something bad happened right before the exam.
Is A- competitive grade in organic chemistry?

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely terrible, request to retake so you can get an A+ instead.

/s

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is probably best to relax because you are fine, and the only possibly bad thing about this post is that you do not seem like you handle stress or failure well...if you can call it a failure. These qualities may not be good for dental school.

Reactions: 4 users
With the amount of organic chemistry we use in dental school, that is absolutely an unacceptable score. Retake it or your admissions chances will suffer.

Reactions: 10 users
I got a B in Orgo 1. They grilled me during my interview and told me I had to retake the class two times and do 1000 hours of community service to make up for it. You will likely see similar consequences.

Reactions: 12 users
I got a B in Orgo 1. They grilled me during my interview and told me I had to retake the class two times and do 1000 hours of community service to make up for it. You will likely see similar consequences.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I just registered orgo 1 for retake.

consider a career change.
jk, but i hope you realize how outrageously dramatic your reaction is to ONE course.

Reactions: 1 user
Most people are joking here, but your extreme anxiety over an a- is not a good sign if you don't change by the time you start dental school. I've seen classmates get depressed or give up after a b or two, and some cry from very small problems like doing poorly on a quiz or getting scolded. I think if you can learn from this experience and future failures and get stronger mentally, it will do you better than a 4.0+ gpa.

After the final exam, my grade dropped from A to A-. I didn't perform well on it because something bad happened right before the exam.

It sure is competitive. Not a significant reason to worry. Overall trends in grades are more significant than a single grade. And yes, people do get sick the night before exams, so one poor performance is not going to devastate your career.

Most people are joking here, but your extreme anxiety over an a- is not a good sign if you don't change by the time you start dental school. I've seen classmates get depressed or give up after a b or two, and some cry from very small problems like doing poorly on a quiz or getting scolded. I think if you can learn from this experience and future failures and get stronger mentally, it will do you better than a 4.0+ gpa.

The amount of 40s I've got on quizzes and **** lol.

I didn't perform well on it because something bad happened right before the exam.

0901D15F-2DA8-496B-9145-26C729ED5F0A.gif

Is this what happened to you? I totally understand, because it was probably pretty hard to concentrate afterwards due to the smell covering you.

Big Hoss

Attachments

• 2E1A2B5F-EBF1-43EB-8DC3-3BFB25E6324B.gif
    2E1A2B5F-EBF1-43EB-8DC3-3BFB25E6324B.gif
    3.2 MB · Views: 57
Thank you for sharing your experience. I just registered orgo 1 for retake.
I hope you’re not really going to retake a course with an A- after seeing these. If you’re not reading the sarcasm, I don’t think anyone would reasonably think you should retake in this situation. Waste of time and money. Lots of people get in with C’s or B’s in O chem.

I am still frustrated with A- in orgo 1. Would I be able to get into my state dental school? All of pre dental students around me got A. Would A- considered same as A since my state school doesn't consider +/- GPA?

You are fine. Relax and take a breather. I had a B in orgo.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol. I opened up this thread assuming you got a D or something and i wanted to see peoples response to that. If an A- is bad, then whip a Janitorial uniform on me and call me Pablo!

I am still frustrated with A- in orgo 1. Would I be able to get into my state dental school? All of pre dental students around me got A. Would A- considered same as A since my state school doesn't consider +/- GPA?

Unknown. It is unlikely that one single grade will make or break you. There are many other factors and trends in grades to consider. I would personally be skeptical of a school whose admission criteria hinges on a single grade.