Developing career goals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Callogician

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an MS1, and I want to start thinking about which residency program(s) I want to pursure (I am currently clueless). I knew that I wanted to attend medical school since age 16, and I think that this knowledge helped me to stay motivated and relatively stress free in my studies. If anyone has any suggestions or links to resources that would be helpful, I would greatly appreciate it.

If you would like me to answer a series of personal questions in order to educe my specific lifestyle preferences and interests, ask away.

Members don't see this ad.

favorite candy bar, favorite black and white comic strip, favorite board game, favorite card game. There was one more favorite maybe, I forget. It was a cool joke article I saw in a book once on how to pick. I'll tell u what all ur answers mean as soon as I go to my library on Sunday :laugh:

You're probably going to just have to suck it up and shadow some physicians in a variety of fields and maybe explore some of the interest groups for different specialties at your school. If you don't mind waiting and letting the whole process come a little bit more naturally, you could just keep an open mind until you hit the wards during 3rd year.

Oh, and regardless of which path you choose, pick up Iserson's Guide to Getting Into a Residency and read the crap outta it.

Members don't see this ad :)
DoctorFunk said:
You're probably going to just have to suck it up and shadow some physicians in a variety of fields and maybe explore some of the interest groups for different specialties at your school. If you don't mind waiting and letting the whole process come a little bit more naturally, you could just keep an open mind until you hit the wards during 3rd year.

Oh, and regardless of which path you choose, pick up Iserson's Guide to Getting Into a Residency and read the crap outta it.

Yeah, Isersons also has a list to evaluate where your interests may lie, and there are some websites around with tests that will suggest some specialties, and you could move from there to shadowing.

favorite candy bar: Reeces pieces

favorite black and white comic strip: None

favorite board game: Chess (close second = Scrabble)

favorite card game: No limit texas holdem

I'll pick up a copy of Iseron's

Callogician said:
favorite candy bar: Reeces pieces

favorite black and white comic strip: None

favorite board game: Chess (close second = Scrabble)

favorite card game: No limit texas holdem

I'll pick up a copy of Iseron's
Texas Hold'em, baby! *rawr*