Development Case

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Circle500

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a "development" case in the sense that I was assured admission by the Dean of a top 15 medical school based upon planned giving/endowments. However, I am concerned that despite this offer, if I turn it down, the university will probably not be pleased (because it will appear like a "wasted" offer). If I am truly interested in other medical schools, should I consider applying to them, or will it be a long shot that is just wasteful?

My stats are too low to be admitted to equivalent schools. I do have a shot at very lower-tier schools though based on academics alone.

Members don't see this ad.

How about I promise the millions and millions of dollar I earn when I retire so Harvard can give me a spot now?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's impossible to answer your question without knowing why you are "truly interested in other schools." I can't imagine anything short of extreme that would make turning that offer down a good choice.

I can imagine why the OP might want to go elsewhere.... it is called "not wanting to be out of my league academically".

Will the school be heartbroken if they make you an offer & you go elsewhere? Not unless you take the planned giving with you.

Every school makes some offers that are refused. We get used to it.

Can someone please explain this to me? You were accepted to a school based on the amount you plan on giving them in the future? Is that correct?

Wow, is this a real post? Am I the only naive one that believes medical schools don't hand out guaranteed acceptances based upon donations and the size of your checkbook...I guess this is just another example of how money can fulfill almost all of your desires

:laugh:

now just gotta change my name to Geffen...

Planned giving does not mean money is "going to be given". Planned giving is a term used to describe when donors of substantial wealth with either the university president or the corporations of the schools involved to plan a large scale project, usually in excess of at least $3M is part of a "planned gift". Broad recently provided $400M to Broad and worked with Drew Faust on the gift. That's just one--albeit the largest--example of such a plan.