developmental PhD and respecialization

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seeker85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am strongly considering applying to some developmental phD programs that specifically focus on developmental psychopathology. However, while the research will be very fulfilling, I still think I may someday want to conduct therapy. Are there ways to respecialize after completing a non-clinical PhD in order to get licensed, and if so, where do I find information about this?

Thanks so much!

(as a preemptive side note-- I am also considering applying to some counseling PhD, PsyD, and MSW programs. But if I were to only get in, or think the Developmental was the best fit, I would still love answers to the above question. Thanks again!)

Members don't see this ad.

I am strongly considering applying to some developmental phD programs that specifically focus on developmental psychopathology. However, while the research will be very fulfilling, I still think I may someday want to conduct therapy. Are there ways to respecialize after completing a non-clinical PhD in order to get licensed, and if so, where do I find information about this?

Thanks so much!

(as a preemptive side note-- I am also considering applying to some counseling PhD, PsyD, and MSW programs. But if I were to only get in, or think the Developmental was the best fit, I would still love answers to the above question. Thanks again!)

Yes, you can respecialize later. I don't know the details or the process, but I have been told it takes about three years. Hopefully someone who knows more or who has done it will respond to you, but I just wanted to let you know that it is possible!

Thanks so much!

Respecialization programs usually take 3 years (full-time) if you have a PhD in another area of psychology.

Members don't see this ad :)
do clinical respecialization programs fund students, or do students have to pay for the program? also, where would I find a comprehensive list of clinical respecialization programs?

do clinical respecialization programs fund students, or do students have to pay for the program? also, where would I find a comprehensive list of clinical respecialization programs?

There was (and still is) a Clinical Respecialization program at my Clinical Training Program. Respec. Students are not funded, and its not cheap. The tuition for the is $22,510 for each of the first two years and $11,255 for the third and subsequent years (which would include the clinical internship year).