1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Devolpmental Bio: What am I supposed to know?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by redgrover, Apr 8, 2004.

1. redgrover

redgrover Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Okay, I'm several years removed from my science classes and have been entirely relying upon a 1998 Princeton Review science book from their course as my source of knowledge of all things MCAT.

Well, it turns out that I'm seeing (and usually missing) several questions related to developmental bio. I'm guessing this stuff was added after 1998. So exactly what am I supposed to know? Gastula, blastula, etc...? Fairly basic stuff?

Also, is there some guage as to how much nomenclature I need to know? I had a question show up on 5R that was asking about imines, imides, and eneamines. Also stuff on primary and secondary amines (?). None of this stuff is in my PR book, which claims to have 115% of the stuff I need to know on the MCAT.

Any guidelines, advice, etc...?

Just trying to have a shot at the two or so questions I miss b/c I simply don't have the knowlege in front of me.

2. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've taken two developmental bio classes, and I'd say that you don't need to know much more than the basics of gastrulation and neurulation. Know what the morula, blastula, and gastrula are. Know what cleavage is. That should be enough. :)

3. jhk43

jhk43 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

bah dah bump!!
    :clap: :hardy:

4. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  5. CanIMakeIt

CanIMakeIt Fellow
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    There usually is a question on what organs formed from what layer (endo, ecto, meso)

6. TripleDegree

TripleDegree Joker Doctor
    10+ Year Member

If you can get your hands on an EK Biology review book, there's a section in there on Developmental Biology that is pretty concise, and is just enough for the MCAT

7. JohnHolmes

JohnHolmes Large Member
    10+ Year Member

:thumbup: