Devolpmental Bio: What am I supposed to know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redgrover

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm several years removed from my science classes and have been entirely relying upon a 1998 Princeton Review science book from their course as my source of knowledge of all things MCAT.

Well, it turns out that I'm seeing (and usually missing) several questions related to developmental bio. I'm guessing this stuff was added after 1998. So exactly what am I supposed to know? Gastula, blastula, etc...? Fairly basic stuff?

Also, is there some guage as to how much nomenclature I need to know? I had a question show up on 5R that was asking about imines, imides, and eneamines. Also stuff on primary and secondary amines (?). None of this stuff is in my PR book, which claims to have 115% of the stuff I need to know on the MCAT.

Any guidelines, advice, etc...?

Just trying to have a shot at the two or so questions I miss b/c I simply don't have the knowlege in front of me.

Members don't see this ad.

I've taken two developmental bio classes, and I'd say that you don't need to know much more than the basics of gastrulation and neurulation. Know what the morula, blastula, and gastrula are. Know what cleavage is. That should be enough. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by redgrover
Okay, I'm several years removed from my science classes and have been entirely relying upon a 1998 Princeton Review science book from their course as my source of knowledge of all things MCAT.

Well, it turns out that I'm seeing (and usually missing) several questions related to developmental bio. I'm guessing this stuff was added after 1998. So exactly what am I supposed to know? Gastula, blastula, etc...? Fairly basic stuff?

Also, is there some guage as to how much nomenclature I need to know? I had a question show up on 5R that was asking about imines, imides, and eneamines. Also stuff on primary and secondary amines (?). None of this stuff is in my PR book, which claims to have 115% of the stuff I need to know on the MCAT.

Any guidelines, advice, etc...?

Just trying to have a shot at the two or so questions I miss b/c I simply don't have the knowlege in front of me.

There usually is a question on what organs formed from what layer (endo, ecto, meso)

If you can get your hands on an EK Biology review book, there's a section in there on Developmental Biology that is pretty concise, and is just enough for the MCAT