Diabetes and CN III: FA 2012 pg 463

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemonade90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In explaining why the parasympathetic fibers overlying CNIII are not preferentially damaged compared to the CNIII fibers in vascular diseases/diabetes...FA says due to "decreased diffusion to interior"...shouldn't it say due to decreased diffusion to exterior (i.e. the exterior part of the nerve) as the artery is in the middle of CN III?

Members don't see this ad.

In explaining why the parasympathetic fibers overlying CNIII are not preferentially damaged compared to the CNIII fibers in vascular diseases/diabetes...FA says due to "decreased diffusion to interior"...shouldn't it say due to decreased diffusion to exterior (i.e. the exterior part of the nerve) as the artery is in the middle of CN III?
You are really missing some basic concepts here... First off there is no artery inside the nerve, and there never is. Second of all, there are no "parasympathetic fibers overlying CN III"... CN III has two components, a parasympathetic component, and a GSE component; the parasympathetic is divided to the outer nerve, and the GSE is in the inner portion of the nerve. Third, nerves are susceptible to osmotic damage just like vessels are.

You are really missing some basic concepts here... First off there is no artery inside the nerve, and there never is. Second of all, there are no "parasympathetic fibers overlying CN III"... CN III has two components, a parasympathetic component, and a GSE component; the parasympathetic is divided to the outer nerve, and the GSE is in the inner portion of the nerve. Third, nerves are susceptible to osmotic damage just like vessels are.

I guess I was thinking about the optic nerve in terms of the artery. But there should always be some blood vessels in any nerve, at least in the epineurium.

You are right about there being two components of CN III.

So are you implying that the major artery outside of the nerve gets hyalinized and thats why you get decreased diffusion to the interior portion of the nerve in diabetes, leaving that portion most susceptible?