Diabetes question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentheartthrob

DreamDMDweaver
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
why isnt glucosuria associated with type 1 DM and is hypoglycemia limited to only type 1?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought glucosuria WAS associated with type 1 DM (as well as type 2). Hypoglycemia is associated with type 1 when the person injects too much insulin. Type 2 doesn't inject insulin and won't get hypoglycemic.

I thought glucosuria was associated with type 1 DM. Hypoglycemia is associated with type 1 when the person injects too much insulin. Type 2 doesn't inject insulin and won't get hypoglycemic.

I thought so too but thats in type 2, and was something i came across while i was doing Qbank.

Type I is usually the only type that sees hypoglycemia because when they take their meds (insulin) too much can be taken. Thats a bad sitiuation. As for type 2 they take things like sulfonylureas which help sensitize insulin receptors (GLUT4) but i don't think it gets to the point of hypoglycemia.

I'm going to have to say that glucosuria could be with either type. I see no rational explantation for it being only type 2.

Glucosuria can happen any time the glucose threshold of the kidneys is overloaded so you will see it with both type 1 and type 2. The hypoglycemia question is due to the people taking insulin but is not limited strictly to type 1, just much more common. Many type two patients will take insulin at some point in their disease process as well. Now ketoacidosis and the resulting spilling of ketones into the urine is usually only found in Type 1.