Diabetes vaccine and future of endocrinologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bestdoctor2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, currently Diabetes vaccine is at phase 2 trial. So, what will be endocrinologists future? Will the salary for endocrinologist decrease or increase? Will FDA recommend DM vaccine to be injected by primary care physician or endocrinologist? If they only allow the vaccine to be injected by endocrinologist , then the salary will be high and can be compared to top specialty such as cardio , GI (like colonoscopy guidelines). If FDA allow primary care physicians to inject vaccine, then there will be less diabetes patients in the future . How do u think? Let's discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, currently Diabetes vaccine is at phase 2 trial. So, what will be endocrinologists future? Will the salary for endocrinologist decrease or increase? Will FDA recommend DM vaccine to be injected by primary care physician or endocrinologist? If they only allow the vaccine to be injected by endocrinologist , then the salary will be high and can be compared to top specialty such as cardio , GI (like colonoscopy guidelines). If FDA allow primary care physicians to inject vaccine, then there will be less diabetes patients in the future . How do u think? Let's discuss.

most of diabetes is already handled by PCPs not endocrinologists...those difficult cases that the PCP can't manage will still go to Endo. Endocrinologist generally see more thyroid than anything else.

also the vaccines are targeted at type I diabetes...which represents only about 10-15% of diabetes, so unlikely to affect the bulk of pts that have diabetes.

trust me, one vaccine, even if only to be give by endocrinologist(i hope not!) will not make a big difference in the salary of endocrinologists.
nothing to really discuss.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user