DIABETES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biddu

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a medical student from Kolkata ,India .Want to know about "chances of the disease in persons having a strong family background".

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you are talking about type 2, I can't give you a number, but I know that they are very high. My dad has a strong family history. He is one of 7 children and all but 3 have got it. My mom also has it as do her two sister. Those sound like pretty good odds, but as always and especially with type 2 diabetes lifestyle plays a huge role. I suspect that it may have a lot more to do with growing up with similar eating habits and lifestyle than genetics, but they obviously play a huge role as well. My parents grew up in the south on good old fashioned carbolicious southern treats, so whos to say. I just know that I want to at least try to dodge the bullet my living a healthier lifestyle.

I just finished a PBL on diabetes this week. From Williams' Textbook of Endocrinology, 9th ed.: "38% of siblings and one-third of offspring with NIDDM (type-II diabetes) have diabetes or abnormal glucose tolerance." This coincides with another reference from the Textbook of Diabetes, Volumes I and II: "Lifetime risk for developing NIDDM is increased up to 40% by having a first-degree relative with the disease."
Hope this helps.

niddm and iddm are now defunct terminology because they misclassify the disease please use type 1 and type 2. just kidding