diagnostic equipment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

kent14

Does anybody know which equipment I should purchase? I've heard that the littman III is supposed to be one of the best stethescopes to have, but I wasn't sure which diagnostic kit I should get. Also, do you guys think it is OK to have a stethescope that is a color other then black? I am thinking about either getting a green or blue stethescope but I am worried that professors or patients will think it looks unprofessional.

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of my classmates had stethoscopes which weren't black - made it a lot easier to spot (especially if it was stolen!). While I might suggest the hot pink ones be saved for Paeds, certainly the dark green, blue or cranberry are professional looking.

Littman Cardio III worked best for me. I would suggest trying out a few - see which allows you to hear better, which is more comfortable, etc. Most distributors and stores will let you try them out before purchasing.

As for the Diagnostic kit I wouldn't necessarily buy one. You will find that every hospital and clinic you're in will have enough equipment available for you to use and practice on. I found it an unncessary expense and one more thing to worry about being stolen. I sold my a few months ago. There is another thread here dealing with the same issue and the general consensus was that it really wasn't necessary to buy a kit. However, if you do I would suggest any of the Welch Allyn products. Heine is nice, but more expensive and if it needs repairs, dealers are less easy to find that Welch Allyn.

Hope this helps.

------------------
PGY1
Penn State University
Department of Surgery

So, for as much as stethoscopes cost, do they come with little heaters in the end, or should I just stick it under my armpit and have the patient "wait a sec" while I warm it up?
wink.gif

--kris

Members don't see this ad :)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by kris:
So, for as much as stethoscopes cost, do they come with little heaters in the end, or should I just stick it under my armpit and have the patient "wait a sec" while I warm it up?
wink.gif

--kris

Wouldn't that be nice? Whatever you do - don't make the mistake of some of my classmates - breathing on it to warm it up!

Try rubbing it against your sleeve or something fairly clean, although the rubber tip around the diaphragm usually keeps it fairly temperate.

I always carried around some alcohol pads to disinfect my stethoscope in between patients (hey, we wash our hands don't we? why not equipment?). A stethoscope is a must on the wards. Plus, you don't want to borrow stuff that has been in other people's ears.

As for diagnostic equipment, you should ask more advanced students in your class if you really need one. Most places, you won't. If you are in a school where the main teaching institution is a county facility, they may not provide these (they are always getting stolen, broken, etc). In this case, I would recommend buying one used and sharing it with a close friend in the class since it is unlikely you will need it for all your rotations. They are REALLY expensive and you do not want to pay more for them than you have to.

I myself bought a rechargeable Welch Allyn (sp?) with metal body. If I had to do it over again, I would probably have bought the pocket set. But the type I bought is very sturdy (I can't tell you how many times I dropped it).

And yes, it's a good idea to get a stethoscope in something other than black. I got black because i wanted it to color coordinate with everything I wore (what a dork...), but it looks just like everyone elses.

Ana - the alcohol pads are an excellent idea. When you think about how much of our equipment touches people's bodies and then remain uncleaned before being used on the next patient, it really seems like a good idea.

I used to carry those in my lab coat, as well as candy and other "bribes" for kiddies in clinic and on the wards! :)

Once you're done with your diagnostic set, wouldn't it be wise to keep it? I mean, say you're in peds, and you have a relative or close friend whose child gets sick in the middle of the night. Wouldn't it be useful in a situation like that? Or if you needed them in an emergency situation--wouldn't they be helpful then? I mean, whatever happened to the little black bag doctors used to have?

What's included in a diagnostic set, anyway?

Originally posted by Firebird:
•Once you're done with your diagnostic set, wouldn't it be wise to keep it? I mean, say you're in peds, and you have a relative or close friend whose child gets sick in the middle of the night. Wouldn't it be useful in a situation like that? Or if you needed them in an emergency situation--wouldn't they be helpful then? I mean, whatever happened to the little black bag doctors used to have?

What's included in a diagnostic set, anyway?•

I suppose if a relative or friend got sick it *might* come in handy, but frankly in those cases you would be wise to refer them to the nearest ER or their own physician. Although some doctors do treat their family and friends, without a proper medical exam they are just asking for trouble. Many residents have "warned" me about casual treatment of friends and co-workers (ie, a nurse with a UTI asks for an antibiotic script) - something goes wrong, like an allergic reaction, you are liable. I do not want that responsibility at all, especially with family and friends. Advice about a cold or flu? Sure I'll give that - but anything involving a detailed physical exam or a condition which needs medical or surgical treatment belongs in an ER or doctor's office, not the living room and me in my flannel jammies.

That has always been my policy - I probably would have kept it for office use had I been going into an IM field, but not because I might need it in my "medical bag". My family is still trying to get used to the idea that I will NOT be prescribing them antibiotics or painkillers or giving them free physical exams, etc.

The basic diagnostic kit contains a lighted handle with interchangeable heads for the ophthalmoscope (eye exam) and otoscope (ears). Extras might include a nasal speculum, bulb insufflator, etc.

I don't mean to suggest that NO ONE should be examining or diagnosing family or friends, especially those who are Family Practitioners or other PC specialties. They would obviously have the skill to do so and if they feel comfortable treating family and friends then they should do so. However, as a future surgeon I would not feel qualified to do the best exam I could unless the presenting problem was surgical. If my child awoke in the dead of night with an earache I might be able to see an inflamed TM and might even pick the right antibiotic to treat him with - however, I do not expect to keep up with the latest in treatment for OM and would prefer my child, or my friends be seen by someone who has. Thus, all my diagnostic kit would be used for would be to say "yep you need to see your doctor for further treatment". I could've said that in the beginning.

Just my 2 cents...