Diagnostic exam score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Science_bro89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys. I just took a Kaplan diagnostic exam for my prep course and my score breakdown is:

123 chem/phys
121 CARS ;(
125 bio/biochem
120 psych/soc
Total score: 489
I'm not sure if this is a good or bad indication. My test is June 20, so I have a lot of time to prepare. How should I look at this score?

Members don't see this ad.

mcat2015scorescale690-data.jpg

Hey, I scored that too. But then I took the nextstep diagnostic and got a 500. I think it's possible that the kaplan may be intentionally more challenging.

I took the Kaplan diagnostic today as well. There likely isn't a big enough statistical pool to determine what the score means, not to mention that Kaplan likely makes diagnostics more difficult than the real test to make you worry and then enroll in a course mid-panic. I haven't taken the old one, but I thought the new test was alright. Bio/biochem required decent content knowledge, as did chem/phys. CARS was pure critical thinking, and psych/ soc seemed somewhere in between to me, but I am a psych major.

The general suggestion is that a score of 500 is the 50th percentile, and that a score of 510 is in line with a score of 30 on the current MCAT (decent for matriculation). Take your 489 with a grain of salt. You have plenty of time to prepare for the test.

Reactions: 1 users