Diapers during long surgeries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If you did a 10-hr surgery by yourself (no shifts), would you wear a diaper?

• Yes

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • No

Votes: 61 78.2%

• Total voters

Asp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Self-explanatory.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure you have a stack of obscure papers in favor of it.

I don't understand why the nurses and the OR techs can't just clean it up:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard people get in the zone and don't even think about going to the bathroom. So, no.

I would just explode diarrhea in my scrubs and change later.

Self-explanatory.

* You tend to zone out after a while. You might not even notice that you need to go.

* Sometimes, during long surgeries, you can take a break, scrub out, go to the bathroom, scrub back in, and gown and glove up again. For some very long oncology surgeries, for instance, sometimes you need to wait around and wait for the stat pathology report before you can start closing the patient up. While you're waiting, you're not doing anything - but you can't start closing it up until the pathologist says that your sample had cancer-free margins.

* No caffeine in the AM, and minimal water. You can drink all the water you want after the case is over.

drink less coffee or pop before the surgery and do NOT drink a liter of water to see what happens, lol

Cheers
Piyush

I wonder if you could get some ADH as a surgeon, hmmm...

I guess desmopressin would be the drug (courtesy of Wikipedia).

If you are smart enough to get in med school, graduate med school, and complete a surgical residency, you are probably smart enough not to piss yourself. So no diaper.

If you have amoebic dysentery, I could see wearing the diaper, but short of that I think people can pretty much hold it.

Even with dysentery (speaking from experience), you'd be feeling so bad that you probably could not function well enough to last through a 10 hour operation nor would the diaper last 10 hours. :laugh:

A friend of mine who had just finished his surgery rotation told me he would start dehydrating himself at about 4 o'clock the day before so he wouldn't have to pee.

I think I would have someone whip it out for me so that I could pee into a bottle or something. I wonder if this counts as sexual harassment, though...

After letting fly at 40+mph while descending a mountain on a bike with 23mm tires, peeing in other situations doesn't seem so bad.

You'd be surprised what willpower can do..... While sailing in the keys with some very attractive girls, I once held number two for about 4 days till I got to solid land. Same thing on my flight to japan....20 hours or so of flying. I did pee, but I purposefully pump fluids in during the flight.

Seriously, if it is that bad then you just scrub out usually. 15 minutes out of 10 hours isn't that bad.

If you are smart enough to get in med school, graduate med school, and complete a surgical residency, you are probably smart enough not to piss yourself. So no diaper.

you have to be smart to be an astronaut too, and well?

next thread: camelbaks during long surgeries?

What if you need to do a #2? Even if a diaper is big enough, I foresee a big mess.

I thought most surgeons were anal-retentive? :p