• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
May 4, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hi, yesterday I was in a GI cholonoscopy and after the insertion of the camera, the pt BP dropped. My attending asked me why the diastolic was so decreased. His answer was because diast BP is equal to preload and the patient “needed volume”.
Is this concept right? I searched in the web and Guyton but could not find this correlation
Tks

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Planktonmd

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2006
The South
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hi, yesterday I was in a GI cholonoscopy and after the insertion of the camera, the pt BP dropped. My attending asked me why the diastolic was so decreased. His answer was because diast BP is equal to preload and the patient “needed volume”.
Is this concept right? I searched in the web and Guyton but could not find this correlation
Tks
How about a vagal response to dilating the colon?

Reactions: 5 users

ethilo

7+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
He's probably trying to drive home that you should remember they get a bowel prep that makes them dry and easily get hypotensive. Whether that is diastolic blood pressure related I wouldn't take that leap myself.

Reactions: 3 users
About the Ads

Hoya11

15+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2004
Status (Visible)
Tks
what pressure does the cuff measure?

Reactions: 3 users
Jul 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Unless you have an a line the map is all you measure. The automated cuff gives you a systolic and diastolic pressure that is calculated based on a proprietary algorithm.

Reactions: 9 users

Hoya11

15+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2004
Status (Visible)
Unless you have an a line the map is all you measure. The automated cuff gives you a systolic and diastolic pressure that is calculated based on a proprietary algorithm.
right - so the true diastolic bp was not even known

Reactions: 2 users

vector2

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.
10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Tks
Saying aortic diastolic pressure is a reflection of preload is a gross oversimplification. More generally, arterial blood pressure is a function of arterial compliance and stroke volume, and there are many factors that go into determining a particular pt's systolic, diastolic, pulse pressure, and mean arterial pressure.

Pointing to a low indirectly calculated diastolic on a non-invasive oscillometric cuff and then proclaiming the pt must be volume-down after induction for a colonoscopy is pure nonsense.

Reactions: 10 users

DrOwnage

Attending
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2011
Los Angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
After an attending once told me that patients "could still larygospasm when they're paralyzed because its a different muscle" I learned to start self-confirming stuff that sounded like horsecrap. Misinformation is worse than no information. Don't just blindly believe something someone says because they are in a position above you, especially your attending. After you have exhausted other routes and cannot find said explanation, post it here and usually someone knows.

Reactions: 4 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.