Diastolic pressure in older age

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akam ahz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I read in my book that: the normal arterial blood pressure (ABP) in the age of 20 years old = 120/70.
Whilst when we get older at 60 years old, for instance, the ABP = 150/90.

My question is about the increase in the diastolic value, why the diastolic pressure increases as we age?!

Doesn't it tend to decrease due to less elasticity in the vessels?

Members don't see this ad.

Blood pressure and ageing

This is a neat article. Give it a read.

Your hypothesis is hard to say. In a theoretical world, yes.. you would think that because their is less elasticity (not sure if this is correct). But what about the environment? Diet? Exercise? These things can cause arteriosclerosis, stiffening of the arteries, plaque. So current evidence shows the as we age, systolic and diastolic BP increases. Hope this helps.

I am older than most on here. My BP is routinely 100/70 and has been since I was a teenager; sometimes it's down to 90/60 but typically, 100/70.

At 53, I attribute this to the following:

1. Genetics
2. Don't drink (more than a glass of wine every 6 months or so)
3. Never smoked (anything... not a darn thing)
4. Fairly active (not a triathlete by any stretch but I am constantly on the move)
5. Sleep well (at least 6 hours a night - letting my body dictate how much and when)
6. Kept my weight fairly consistent (I'm tall but my weight as an adult has been within 10 pounds forever; BMI --> 20)
7. Manage stress (walk, tune out, work on wood, play piano, etc. etc. etc.)