Did 19 people really transfer from Gtown this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasGuy41

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I heard that something like 19 people transferred from Gtown this year or last year. Can any gtowner tell me if that is true? If so...do you know why so many people wanted out? Thanks! -dave

Members don't see this ad.

where'd you hear this?

Just a guess, but maybe because it is a crappy school in a crappy city.

haha--just kidding....sorta.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually heard the school is really cut-throat and everyone is looking to out-do everyone else. If thats the case then I dont think I would want to be there.

I heard it from another person. Can anyone at Gtown comment on this? I don't want to spread a rumor, I just want to know if its true and why it may have happened.

19 people? That can't be true, I didn't think it was that easy to transfer out of med school.

If it is true somehow, that is definitely something to think about. Maybe your friend meant 19 people over the last 4-5 years? That would make more sense, becuz 19 in one year seems like a HELL of alot.

heres something thats not a rumor--georgetown sucks. the facilities are poor, the teaching is unimpressive, the students are cocky nerds, i could go on and on.....

I know a place where more than 19 people failed in one year. I thought it was a mistake but it actually turned out to be true. A friend of mine said it was actually easier than one might think to transfer medical schools as long as you are moving down, ie going from Gtown to a state school, not from Gtown to Harvard.

dookbloo said:
heres something thats not a rumor--georgetown sucks. the facilities are poor, the teaching is unimpressive, the students are cocky nerds, i could go on and on.....

Seriously--this should not be anyone's first choice. Didn't it go bankcrupt in the 80s? Anyway, all I hear are bad things, so I didn't even apply--that means I dont have too much personal experience with the school, however.

I agree Benjo. The program seems malignant. I have a friend that is considering going there over her state school, and I do not know how she can justify dropping that much $$ on a school like G-town Med.

Is it true their third year is insane? Someone told me the adcom said it is similar to intern year.

But they do have a great match list for orthopaedic surgery. I'll give them that :).

Benjo said:
Just a guess, but maybe because it is .... in a crappy city.

I am partially biased on this since I'm going to GW, but you are the absolute first person I have heard say that D.C. is crappy. Absolute first, I'm not exaggerating. Maybe people are blowing smoke up my a$$ because they don't want to be discouraging but everyone who I talk to sounds completely genuine when they tell me how amazing DC is.

Brickhouse said:
I am partially biased on this since I'm going to GW, but you are the absolute first person I have heard say that D.C. is crappy. Absolute first, I'm not exaggerating. Maybe people are blowing smoke up my a$$ because they don't want to be discouraging but everyone who I talk to sounds completely genuine when they tell me how amazing DC is.

DC is a great city! I really like it here. I just dont like GU all that much. DC has to be among my top five metro areas to live (SF bay, LA, NYC, Chicago, DC)

I've been living in DC for a year, and while I can't say anything about GW or GT, I love DC and I almost defered for a year just to stay here for a while longer-- it's a great place to be in your 20's-- it's a city with a ton to do and lots of 20-somethings running around and having fun.
Brickhouse said:

Members don't see this ad :)
duka said:
I've been living in DC for a year, and while I can't say anything about GW or GT, I love DC and I almost defered for a year just to stay here for a while longer-- it's a great place to be in your 20's-- it's a city with a ton to do and lots of 20-somethings running around and having fun.

did you go to duke?

nope-- duka is a derivative of an old nickname...

D.C. is amazing if you are pretentious political blow-hard, who can't pat himself on the back enough for having and inside-the-beltway job,that is basically just a glorified secretarial position. It isn't the city of DC that I don't like--great museums, food, etc--but the people are borderline terrible. They range from your typical georgetown socialite still lamenting his Princeton rejection to the post-graduate socialite with and inflated self-image and sweet stories about how they passed a Senator in the hallway last week. Sorry for the tirade here, but I loathe that type of person, and there are a lot of them there. Moreover, medically, it is stagnant.

exmike said:
DC is a great city! I really like it here. I just dont like GU all that much. DC has to be among my top five metro areas to live (SF bay, LA, NYC, Chicago, DC)

Don't forget Boston and Seattle.
There you have it, the places to live in the US.

i don't know if it's just me but i would rather hear from people whose opinions are not based on conjecture but are based on actual experiences with a given school or city. i just think everyone should keep that in mind and take everything with a grain of salt when reading random negative posts about any school. thanks.

Benjo said:
D.C. is amazing if you are pretentious political blow-hard, who can't pat himself on the back enough for having and inside-the-beltway job,that is basically just a glorified secretarial position. It isn't the city of DC that I don't like--great museums, food, etc--but the people are borderline terrible. They range from your typical georgetown socialite still lamenting his Princeton rejection to the post-graduate socialite with and inflated self-image and sweet stories about how they passed a Senator in the hallway last week. Sorry for the tirade here, but I loathe that type of person, and there are a lot of them there. Moreover, medically, it is stagnant.

You think people in DC are pretentious? Wait until you get to UVA.

My posts aren't "random" or "conjecture". A high-profile faculty at a prestigious university hospital characterized the school as "****ty" and told me about it's terrible financial problems. More than that, I lived 45 minutes from DC for 19 year, so I have been there and interacted withh the people on numerous occasions, more than enough to formulate an opinion that escapes the "conjecture" and "random" labels.

st85 said:
You think people in DC are pretentious? Wait until you get to UVA.

Whoa, I disagree, but your opinion is just as valid as mine. UVa people can be a little snooty, yes, but in a much different way than DC people.

Here is an honest opinion from someone who lived in the DC for two years, BENJO IS CORRECT ABOUT SOME THINGS. Alot of the DC crowd is pretencious but that tends to be those who work on The Hill or who live in the G-Town area. GWashington is filled with a bunch of rich undergrads who couldnt get into a better school and who are there to waste their parents money, Georgetown has similar folks but there is one difference: they scored higher on the SAT than those at GW. GW med students are cool though, my friend went there. You can smell The Hill people as soon as you walk into a room, they are the ones turning their noses up at you for not wanting to rule the world. They will act like drunken *****s and then insult your undergrad school. There are TONS OF PLUSES TO LIVING IN DC THOUGH. DC is a GREAT city as far as night life goes, good transportation, and there are alot of cool things to see. It is more of a small town than you would ever think, for instance you may see the same person you met last week at bar X sitting across from you at restuarant Z the next week. You may hook up with someone and find you both have friends in common, its really strange. Stay away from the transient (the Hill people and interns who are only there for a year or so) and you will love the place.

Every city has their annoying types - I live near Hollywood and it's annoying how many wanna-be actors are out there selling themselves - but you find good quality people and the city can be a lot of fun. I think it's what you make of it. Sorry you're so bitter, Benjo. Hope UVA is a better fit for you.

Um, I didn't want to start a discussion on whether or not DC sucks. I just want to know if that many people transferred. Why can't anyone from Gtown tell me?

TexasGuy41 said:
Um, I didn't want to start a discussion on whether or not DC sucks. I just want to know if that many people transferred. Why can't anyone from Gtown tell me?

Welcome to SDN. No thread ever ends up the way you intended. See any thread I've ever started, asking an MCAT question for example and ending up with a post about Britney Spears and whether or not she's jewish.

Brickhouse said:
Welcome to SDN. No thread ever ends up the way you intended. See any thread I've ever started, asking an MCAT question for example and ending up with a post about Britney Spears and whether or not she's jewish.

Britney spears is jewish? :D

bc003 said:
i don't know if it's just me but i would rather hear from people whose opinions are not based on conjecture but are based on actual experiences with a given school or city. i just think everyone should keep that in mind and take everything with a grain of salt when reading random negative posts about any school. thanks.

Amen! This is great advice and maybe people will actually heed it in the future, be they reading or posting.

TexasGuy41 said:
Maybe you should try posting this question in the Allopathic forum.

... and let us know what you find out! :)

Brickhouse said:

Don't confuse DC with NoVa.

No offense to you NoVa peeps, but you guys have some mad property taxes and traffic going on in the beltway.

JH

I am so sick of people who know nothing about Gtown saying negative things about it. Gtown was my first choice and I turned down a UVA inteview because I already had an acceptance from Gtown. The main reason....DC is awesome and I own my own home here. As for the facilities, there is a lot of construction going on as we speak. Gtown is building a state of the art clinical skills cener (like the one at GW) and it will be finished probably by the end of the year.

For those of you who still have something against Gtown (probably because the school rejected you), take a look at the match list- 7 ortho, 7 neurosurgery, 3 opthamology, 7 urology....now tell me how much gtown sucks.

No offense, but if the MAIN reason you go to a school is the city it's in, that's not saying much for the school...

highclass said:
Georgetown University College of Arts and Sciences Class of 2000.
Georgetown University Graduate School Class of 2004.
Georgetown University School of Medicine Class of 2008!

I am officially a Hoya for life!

I think Gtown is a great university and hopefully its basketball program takes off again with this new coach. That being said I don't think you should go to GTown for med school nor do I think they should have accepted you. I don't know you personally but my observation is that you went there underdrad and then 4 years of grad school and now four more years of med school! Get some diversity in your life man! The world does not revolve around this one university. And also Gtown should know better then to have all this academic incest. What's next you're gonna do a five year residency at GT followed by a 3 year fellowship, followed by obtaining an attending spot there, and then a teaching position there, and finally becoming dean at GT med. You might enjoy being at another institution and city while you're still young enough, but I guess you became set in your ways early.

JohnHolmes said:
Don't confuse DC with NoVa.

No offense to you NoVa peeps, but you guys have some mad property taxes and traffic going on in the beltway.

JH

Traffic and taxes are awful here in NOVA. The Traffic here will kill you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't wait to escape in 5 weeks. Moving to a rural area is going to be a welcome relief. So will leaving behind my $5000 per year housing tax for only a $1900 one. Yipppee.

Cat Scratch said:
I think Gtown is a great university and hopefully its basketball program takes off again with this new coach. That being said I don't think you should go to GTown for med school nor do I think they should have accepted you. I don't know you personally but my observation is that you went there underdrad and then 4 years of grad school and now four more years of med school! Get some diversity in your life man! The world does not revolve around this one university. And also Gtown should know better then to have all this academic incest. What's next you're gonna do a five year residency at GT followed by a 3 year fellowship, followed by obtaining an attending spot there, and then a teaching position there, and finally becoming dean at GT med. You might enjoy being at another institution and city while you're still young enough, but I guess you became set in your ways early.

Uh, maybe some of us are married and have other important things to consider in life. If staying at Gtown means that some day I will become dean of the med school, sure why not. I have had great academic experiences at Gtown and that is why I chose to stay here and I have had many interviews and multiplle acceptances. I think that you are just full of negativity and know nothing about me.

highclass said:
Uh, maybe some of us are married and have other important things to consider in life. If staying at Gtown means that some day I will become dean of the med school, sure why not. I have had great academic experiences at Gtown and that is why I chose to stay here and I have had many interviews and multiplle acceptances. I think that you are just full of negativity and know nothing about me.

More power to you. It looks to me like you've had great personal experiences at the school, know a lot about it, have strong ties to the area...all excellent reasons to stay. In my opinion you don't need to defend anything. But since you're there and everything, do you know if 19 people transfer out this year?

highclass said:

I wasn't trying to offend you! I just think that people and schools benefit from having diversity of academic backgrounds. All you're gonna know is how GT does things and how DC does things. So you want GT to be the institution that trains you from undergrad, grad, med, residency, fellowship etc, more power to you.

highclass said:

While georgetown is a good school, I would just take with a grain of salt the opinion of someone that has completed his entire post-high school education at the same institution. You probably have very good insights into the school, but other people have been to many other schools and thus have basis for comparison and judgement.

Amy B said:
Traffic and taxes are awful here in NOVA. The Traffic here will kill you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't wait to escape in 5 weeks. Moving to a rural area is going to be a welcome relief. So will leaving behind my $5000 per year housing tax for only a $1900 one. Yipppee.

But NOVA is still the best place to live. :D Awesome location, weather, and it's my hometown!! ;)

10minutes said:
But NOVA is still the best place to live. :D Awesome location, weather, and it's my hometown!! ;)

I live in NOVA. I love it. Removed from the city, but very easy to get there if I want. The problem is COMMUTING TO SCHOOL. :(

I have to walk to the metro, then take the metro to a georgetown bus stop, then take the bus to school. If the stars are aligned I can get to school in half an hour. If no, it can take up to an hour! You wont realize until you're in the situation how much living near school is a MUST if possible. The problem with GU is that housing near campus is expensive, shoddy, or both. So living in a nice place means a horrendous commute. The extra hour it takes make a huge difference, believe me. When I'm walking to the metro station, my classmates near school are still tucked in bed. i know i know +pity+ but i value sleep, especially in the morning.

By contrast, George Washington has a metro stop so living in VA is fine. It only take me 15 minutes to get to GWU even though its farther away!

exmike said:
I live in NOVA. I love it. Removed from the city, but very easy to get there if I want. The problem is COMMUTING TO SCHOOL. :(

I have to walk to the metro, then take the metro to a georgetown bus stop, then take the bus to school. If the stars are aligned I can get to school in half an hour. If no, it can take up to an hour! You wont realize until you're in the situation how much living near school is a MUST if possible. The problem with GU is that housing near campus is expensive, shoddy, or both. So living in a nice place means a horrendous commute. The extra hour it takes make a huge difference, believe me. When I'm walking to the metro station, my classmates near school are still tucked in bed. i know i know +pity+ but i value sleep, especially in the morning.

By contrast, George Washington has a metro stop so living in VA is fine. It only take me 15 minutes to get to GWU even though its farther away!

I feel for ya. I live on ground (Uva), but when I was doing internship at GW, I had to get to the hospital by 6am in the morning, so I had to get up like 5am (I took the bus to metro and took metro to GW). But you know what? The traffic is pretty bad here in Charlottesville too. :mad:

First of all, choosing a school based almost entirely on locations is ludicrous. I understand that you have a family tying you to that location, so that is understandable. But, if your primary interest in a school or program is its surrounding area, you have distorted priorities. Nobody goes to Hopkins because of the allure of Baltimore, etc. Moreover, matching in competitive residencies doesn't necessarily mean a top-notch med school--it merely means that the school siphons people into those fields. Otherwise, nobody people from Hopkins or Harvard would go into internal medicine, etc--it's where these spots are garnered that matters. I don't have the time or inclination to look up G-town's match list, but that's because I don't care. So, good luck to you, and I hope you have gotten over not getting into Princeton by now--after all, 12 years at Georgetown should be enough for that.
Ok, that last comment was below the belt, but so was Highclass, so bear with me.

I think the OP asked his initial question over 4 times now. Enough banter- can't someone answer the question?

HEY NOW....

I'm a 3rd year at UVa (undergrad) now and honestly, I've met more genuine, kindhearted, and sincere people here than I ever could've expected if I had listened to the horribly uninformed tirades of people ignorant enough to make such claims as these. I visited a NUMBER of schools while applying to college, and the people at UVa are overall MUCH less likely to be caught up in "academia" than people I've interacted with at places like Gtown, Duke, etc. SERIOUSLY. You're going to find some jerks wherever you go, but that's life. And anyway, if you can't see past the Greek scene, or whatever you seem to think is snooty here, then it's your loss.

Besides, there's a reason that Charlottesville was recently voted the #1 place to live in the nation. The UVa grads - NICE people, I tell you, in addition to being successful - love Cville so much that they stick around and have families here. Ultimately, this renders the University community a wonderful place to be.

To Benjo, congratulations! Welcome to Hooville :) You have so much to look forward to!!! PM me anytime for tips on stuff to do here!

Benjo said:
First of all, choosing a school based almost entirely on locations is ludicrous.

I don't think so. Despite what you may hear most medical schools are pretty much equivalent. Curriculums are standard. They will all get you a decent residency. So what else is there besides location? If you have an established social life in a particular location that may help you to survive med school with your sanity intact.

Benjo said:
First of all, choosing a school based almost entirely on locations is ludicrous. I understand that you have a family tying you to that location, so that is understandable. But, if your primary interest in a school or program is its surrounding area, you have distorted priorities. Nobody goes to Hopkins because of the allure of Baltimore, etc. Moreover, matching in competitive residencies doesn't necessarily mean a top-notch med school--it merely means that the school siphons people into those fields. Otherwise, nobody people from Hopkins or Harvard would go into internal medicine, etc--it's where these spots are garnered that matters. I don't have the time or inclination to look up G-town's match list, but that's because I don't care. So, good luck to you, and I hope you have gotten over not getting into Princeton by now--after all, 12 years at Georgetown should be enough for that.
Ok, that last comment was below the belt, but so was Highclass, so bear with me.

Who are YOU to judge a person based on his or her preferences in choosing a medical school?? When are you people going to realize that not everybody is consumed with trying to attend the greatest academic med school possible and that some people actually consider other factors other than rank or prestige when choosing a school??? Some people have such things as personal lives, relationships, or non-academic interests that might sway them towards one school over another. Some of us are just seeking happiness in school and (gasp) out of school! Your comments represent the unfortunate elitism and judgment that exists in medicine. Maybe if you focus on happiness in your OWN life, you'll stop judging others.

exmike said:
While georgetown is a good school, I would just take with a grain of salt the opinion of someone that has completed his entire post-high school education at the same institution. You probably have very good insights into the school, but other people have been to many other schools and thus have basis for comparison and judgement.

You also have to take with a grain of salt people's opinions when they have never attended a particular institution, yet love to bash it. Exmike, I know you're familiar with Georgetown, but numerous other posters here have never attended the school and just love to jump on the Georgetown-bashing bandwagon. People choose schools and like schools for various different reasons. I don't understand why people can't just accept that and stop passing judgment.

ok, fine--ill add some credibility to this georgetown bashing. i also did the same program that exmike is currently doing. although i did well, i had absolutely 0 interest in continuing at georgetown for some of the reasons i mentioned above. the majority of my classmates (assuming they had even 1 other choice), would have rather been at other places. i knew one guy who was considering drexel over georgetown. if you want some more info, feel free to pm me. i know i could be more objective. its not the worst place in the world, but its certainly not nearly as great as they act like it is. for some reason, that type of attitude really pisses me off. maybe its some sort of napoleon complex--does gtown have a small endowment? sheesh, and you would think after 300 hundred years, its not size that matters.

ps, as far as i can tell, the only 2 people on this topic with credibility are me and exmike....georgetown 0, everywhere else in the US 2