Did a 501 with a 123 in C/P just kill my cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CantStop_WontStop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disappointed with my mcat result of 501, breakdown of 123/12six/12seven/125

cGPA 3.85, sGPA 3.81

My concern is the 123... Is this going to keep me out of DO programs? Should I save the $ and apply next cycle? (Can't retake the MCAT until after December)

Members don't see this ad.

Got 502, with 123 in CARS and 123 in Psych. Accepted
Apply NOW and apply BROADLY

Reactions: 6 users

cGPA 3.85, sGPA 3.81

My concern is the 123... Is this going to keep me out of DO programs? Should I save the $ and apply next cycle? (Can't retake the MCAT until after December)
M8, I was accepted with a lower GPA, and the following MCATs:

Your GPAs will save you, but you need to apply right now for the best possible shot at IIs and acceptances.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
FWIW during my SMP interview at NOVA, they told me that the COM will initially screen out at 123 for the early interview invitations, but will have a person look at them closer after a certain period of time.

Edit: grammer and spelling. PS: I have a 123 verbal section.

Literally stop whatever you're doing if you want in on this cycle and write/prewrite secondaries. Time really is the key!

Reactions: 1 user

cGPA 3.85, sGPA 3.81

Im sorry, just had to ask. Why did you write "12six" and "12seven?" Just thought it was odd since you left all other numbers in your original post numerical.

Reactions: 1 users
Im sorry, just had to ask. Why did you write "12six" and "12seven?" Just thought it was odd since you left all other numbers in your original post numerical.

Probably he just used the voice to text function on the iPhone. Mine does it a lot, like instead of saying 3.0 it will say "3 point oh".

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Probably he just used the voice to text function on the iPhone. Mine does it a lot, like instead of saying 3.0 it will say "3 point oh".

Oh lol. Just curious. Im far too poor for an iPhone and know nothing about that. #teammetropcs

FWIW during my SMP interview at NOVA, they told me that the COM will initially screen out at 123 for the early interview invitations, but will have a person look at them closer after a certain period of time.

Edit: grammer and spelling. PS: I have a 123 verbal section.

By any chance did they tell you when the early invitation dates were around, or what "after a certain period of time is"?

By any chance did they tell you when the early invitation dates were around, or what "after a certain period of time is"?

No clue, but if I had to guess. I'd say at least after December or whenever the influx of initial applications dies down.

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your GPA? and did you have another aspect of your app that made up for your low MCAT?
My app was super normal:
- 2700 hours of tutoring chemistry
- 120 hours of volunteer
- 120 hours of shadowing
3.54 cgpa, 3.36 sgpa

Currently have 4 interview invites. 501 w/ 124 CARS.
Applying broadly and early is the best advice!

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to give it a go and see what happens.... I'll be spending the whole weekend applying/prewriting secondaries. Can i get some advice on my school list please?

LECOM (all)
WVSOM
CUSOM
BCOM
UIW-COM
VCOM (all)
KYCOM
Touro Nevada (bad idea?)
Nova (bad idea?)
LMUCOM
KCOM
ARCOM
AZCOM (bad idea?)
ACOM

haha... I was actually out of town with no access to wi-fi when the scores came in, so i was only able to use my phone which has a broken touch screen and doesn't let me type in certain numbers (not because of the MCAT news lol), but I was anxious for advice so figured I would type them out

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to give it a go and see what happens.... I'll be spending the whole weekend applying/prewriting secondaries. Can i get some advice on my school list please?

LECOM (all)
WVSOM
CUSOM
BCOM
UIW-COM
VCOM (all)
KYCOM
Touro Nevada (bad idea?)
Nova (bad idea?)
LMUCOM
KCOM
ARCOM
AZCOM (bad idea?)
ACOM

I know that AZCOM will put you on pre-interview hold and not review your app until Jan at the earliest with an MCAT below 508 (not an exact number, but seems to be the consensus based on this year's thread). I don't know many specifics about other schools.

Oh wow they want that high of an MCAT? I think I remember reading somewhere on these threads that NOVA, and the Touro's want high MCAT's also, does anyone know if that's true? and also what other schools on my list might prefer high MCATS over GPA or vice versa? @Goro @DrMikeP

LECOM (all)
WVSOM
CUSOM
BCOM
UIW-COM
VCOM (all)
KYCOM
Touro Nevada (bad idea?)
Nova (bad idea?)
LMUCOM
KCOM
ARCOM
AZCOM (bad idea?)
ACOM

Looks good to me, but I would ask @Goro !

I had a 127/124/127/123 MCAT and a GPA less than yours but still got 5 DO IIs (CUSOM, LMU, LECOM-E, UIWSOM, and VCOM-VA) and one acceptance (CUSOM) so far!

Awesome news!!! congrats!!! CUSOM would be a great fit for me as I have a lot of family in the area.... I haven't taken BioChem yet and I'm pretty sure they require it, but i'm hoping they would just let me complete it before matriculating. Go figure Bio/Biochem was my best section on MCAT too.

Awesome news!!! congrats!!! CUSOM would be a great fit for me as I have a lot of family in the area.... I haven't taken BioChem yet and I'm pretty sure they require it, but i'm hoping they would just let me complete it before matriculating. Go figure Bio/Biochem was my best section on MCAT too.
Thanks! I think as long as you tell them you're going to take the class (or any required class that you're missing and actually take it lol) you should be able to receive an acceptance without it! At least some schools are like that - I would email to ask.

Apply braodly, especially targeting the newest schools. Skip the coastal Touros, LUCOM, KCU, PCOM, Western, AZCOM and CCOM

cGPA 3.85, sGPA 3.81

LECOM (all)
WVSOM
CUSOM
BCOM
UIW-COM
VCOM (all)
KYCOM
Touro Nevada (bad idea?)
Nova (bad idea?)
LMUCOM
KCOM
ARCOM
AZCOM (bad idea?)
ACOM

Agree with Goro. You'll be screened out of AZCOM and any Touro and you'll likely get silence from Nova. Add the two AT-Stills. You could try Western Oregon, I had a low MCAT and was accepted there. But my ECs were extensive.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to release my app to Touro-Nevada, and Nova just for peace of mind that I tried at least. I figured with the AACOMAS fee waiver it couldn't hurt. I released apps first thing yesterday morning and have received 6 secondaries so far, so i'll be working on those today. Here's to hoping I get some love.

One more question, didn't want to start a new thread over it. So does AACOMAS send a notification when official MCAT scores are received? I released them a few days ago and haven't heard anything, and during that time I got an email for TUN that said my app would be reviewed once official MCAT scores were available.

One more question, didn't want to start a new thread over it. So does AACOMAS send a notification when official MCAT scores are received? I released them a few days ago and haven't heard anything, and during that time I got an email for TUN that said my app would be reviewed once official MCAT scores were available.
If you update your aacomas app (button) they send out notice BUT some schools don't pay attention to it if they've already processed your app. So for schools that don't have an online way to check app completion I'd email and let them know I updated aacomas with my MCAT on xxxx date. A few may have auto eliminated you already for not having it, which is what happened to me.

Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Ok thanks DrMikeP.... I'm going to go through the schools I applied to but haven't received secondaries for and hopefully it all works out. Any chance you know if LECOM is a school that auto screened you? I haven't received a secondary for them yet, but It's one of my top choices.

Update: Okay so it seems to have worked, at least for Touro NV because they just sent me the secondary and previously said I was on hold.

Last edited:
Ok thanks DrMikeP.... I'm going to go through the schools I applied to but haven't received secondaries for and hopefully it all works out. Any chance you know if LECOM is a school that auto screened you? I haven't received a secondary for them yet, but It's one of my top choices.

Update: Okay so it seems to have worked, at least for Touro NV because they just sent me the secondary and previously said I was on hold.

Most if they haven't sent secondaries yet you're ok, as they update things when they get secondaries back or don't send them at all until they have mcat scores. Some you get secondaries almost as soon as you submit so they can get $$$$, materials are irrelevant for that part. Not sure about LECOM, if I remember correctly you can check app status online for them but I think that is once you do the secondary. I'd be more concerned about those that sent secondaries already as those are the one's that will quickly close you out for not having a good mcat. One CA school put me as "0" for my mcat score because I hadn't taken it yet, ugh what a nightmare.

When in doubt if you haven't heard anything within a few weeks a short email can be helpful.

something like: Dear XYZ, I submited primary app on ..date... I recently completed my mcat on ccc, which was updated ..date.. on aacomas. I am highly interested in your med prog, so wanted to follow up on my application status? Thank you, ABC