Did a pharmacy tech or floater pharmacist ever pXXX you off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_Rx2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, one time(while as an intern).....I was taking like 8 scripts off the phone in 10 minutes while this floater was just slacking off with a tech.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Dr_Rx2003
Yeah, one time(while as an intern).....I was taking like 8 scripts off the phone in 10 minutes while this floater was just slacking off with a tech.

Get used to it. It will happen frequently.

My manager has a well earned nick name; Mr All_Business. He will ruthlessly ignore anything which is unrelated to what is on the bench at this moment. The result of this is he is one of the most accurate pharmacists I have worked with.

Technicians in particular, perhaps because of their youth or because they do not hold ultimate responsibility for an error will socialize while working which is bad enough. Some are unable to work and talk at the same time. They will stop what they are doing - spatula waving in the air - to engage another in conversation who will also stop what they are doing to listen. The best result is work doesn't get done. The worst result is someone screws up. This is why I like night shift. It is me - just me - without distraction or interruption and I still manage to make errors which are usually fatigue related. (gotta read that NDC all the freakin time)

But I do overlap slightly with techs during the late evening and early morning. When a new one started doing that spatula waving during a busy evening - phone ringing, folks in drive through, and people hanging on the counter - I was very blunt;
WORK NOW, TALK LATER. She took the hint. Others that don't get it or get their knickers in a twist I am happy to see go home. He travels fastest who travels alone. When I float I behave as if I am alone and just let who ever do what ever until they start breaking into my personal space interrupting my thought stream. Then I get cranky. This is all you can do, you have no control of anything but your own processes and it just isn't worth the stress.

Yeah...I am pretty sure I will get used to..

Members don't see this ad :)
There will always be one in every place you work that will drive you up the wall.
I have worked at 4 pharmacies over my rather short career and there is always that one employee that will do everything they can to make your life miserable. You either find a way to get used to it or move on to somewere else only to find the same thing with a different person.
That is the main reason why I got out of management. There is that one person, of course, as always, but now I can just ignore them and worry about my work and not have to worry about everyone bitching about them and rarely being able to do anything about it.
I miss the good ole days where you could just fire someone for being an incompetent, lazy, oaf.

We have a floater who comes in and is VERY slow. Mind you, she is accurate (which is good) but she's not used to the high volume we do at our store (about 400/day - relatively high for our staff). She worked yesterday actually and was backed up checking ALL DAY. We have our reg pharmacist as well who takes care of all of the other stuff in the pharmacy (controls, phone calls, paper work, etc), and all day long I had to ask him if he could go over and help her out (get her caught up). She would get so backed up, get frustrated and all stressed out about the littlest things, it made me so damn frustrated. The other interns and techs were joking that I would have MY degree and would be back before she got finished with all her scripts :laugh: . Some people just aren't cut out for that type of pharmacy. They need a nice, slow 150/day script place where they can sit on a stool and read the paper, and take their time checking.