Did all my OAT prep in 3.5 weeks and it went well (long)(detailed)

• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

Tiff-of-knee

2+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
Hi everyone, I took my OAT Wednesday, Jan 8, 2020, and thought I’d post a complete, detailed story of it, bc reading abt others’ experiences helped me prepare a little.
Background: I’m 19, a sophomore, biochem major, bio minor, 3.54 gpa. My winter break is 4 weeks long. I work very well under pressure and very poorly over a longer, more relaxed schedule. SO. I thought it would be an idea to go hard and do everything -learn, study, practice test, review, and take the official OAT- over 3.5 weeks.
My study schedule and materials:
  • Friday, Dec. 13 — buy 1 month subscription to Coursesaver OAT materials(50$) and 1 big Kaplan OAT 2017-2018 book(55$)
  • Weeks 1-2, Dec. 14 to 29 — Learn new stuff — I knew physics, bio, and ochem were the ones I’d have to cover before the practice exams. I had only taken the first semester of physics so far; I’m bad at bio; for Ochem I got good grades, but I’d have to review it now. Gchem I decided not to study, bc throughout freshman year I was a tutor for the subject. For physics I used coursesaver’s physics videos and associated quizzes. For bio I went through the Kaplan book’s bio section and quizzes, and then coursesaver’s bio quizzes. I looked to YouTube’s Crash Course and Bozeman Science when I didn’t get something. For Ochem, I went through the Kaplan book quizzes, coursesaver’s ochem quizzes, and the dat bootcamp ochem reactions sheet.
    • wake up(10:30, I’m a night person)
    • go to the library(11:30)
    • study hard (coursesaver/taking notes/kaplan book)
    • go home for dinner and take a break(5-8) where I don't think abt the OAT at all,
    • study more relaxed(Crash course, bozeman science, practice problems, flash cards, phone and youtube breaks). Highly recommend: the relaxed studying helped take a little pressure off so that I didn't feel overwhelmed so much
    • sleep(1am, I'm still a night person).
  • Week 3-3.5, dec. 30 to Jan. 7 — practice test and review — Monday Wednesday and Friday were test days, the other days were to go over them and then general reviewing. I took 4 practice exams: ADA’s sample DAT, Kaplan Book’s practice exams 1 and 2, and ADA’s sample OAT. Going over them meant looking over the questions I missed and then writing down why the right answer was right.
Jan. 8th — OAT
  • Get to the testing center, empty pockets, throw everything into a locker, get taken to a cubicle. I had been reviewing in the car, but I’d gotten to the center early, so I thought I’d have some chill time to review more and got taken a little off guard when my whole backpack just got locked up. Test starts.
  • format and environment: Kaplan is the closest to how the real test is administered. a little timer in the corner, and buttons for next, previous, mark, and exhibit(periodic table). You can also right click answer choices to cross them out.
  • my bio section: like a long vocab test, lot of memorization and knowing the functions of things (I.e. why is oxygen important in aerobic respiration? What cell component would let a cell move towards a stimulus?) Can’t pick a topic that was favored, they pulled from all around. Coursesaver’s oat biology section is incomplete- crash course and Kaplan cover everything you need.
  • gen chem: no hard calculations. More conceptual stuff w occasional numbers (I.e. based on the following equations’ reduction potentials, which would not dissolve in chemical X?)
  • ochem: It was a mix on mostly reactions and a little spec. Didn’t have to look at any graphs.
  • reading comp: I do this section by skimming the passage and highlighting key words, then search and destroy as fast as I can. I had 3 passages on bats, drug addiction, and the brain.
  • 30 min optional break
  • physics: way easier than Kaplan practice tests, coursesaver’s physics section was very good prep in terms of difficulty and material.
  • quantitative reasoning: more logic than math. (I.e. the number X is divisible by 5. The number X is divisible by 2. Do these 2 statements give sufficient info to find the last digit of X?) or (X is positive, M=(x+1)2, N=x2-2x+1 How are M and N related? M is greater/less/equal/not enough info)
my scores
Test (date) - BIO/GC/OC/RC/PHY/QR/AA/TS
ADA DAT (Dec.30)- 370/390/400/340/380/400/380/400 (the DAT doesn't have physics, so I used coursesaver's ovarall physics quiz to substitute)
Kaplan 1 (Jan. 1) - 340/360/340/340/330/360/350/360
Kaplan2 (Jan. 3) - 340/390/320/350/360/350/350/370
ADA OAT (Jan. 6) - 380/380/350/400/380/400/380/390
Official OAT (Jan. 8) - 390/400/350/370/400/400/390/400

Hope this was helpful someway, good luck on your OATs! and pls comment or msg w any questions!

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
Aug 20, 2019
Hi everyone, I took my OAT Wednesday, Jan 8, 2020, and thought I’d post a complete, detailed story of it, bc reading abt others’ experiences helped me prepare a little.
Background: I’m 19, a sophomore, biochem major, bio minor, 3.54 gpa. My winter break is 4 weeks long. I work very well under pressure and very poorly over a longer, more relaxed schedule. SO. I thought it would be an idea to go hard and do everything -learn, study, practice test, review, and take the official OAT- over 3.5 weeks.
My study schedule and materials:
  • Friday, Dec. 13 — buy 1 month subscription to Coursesaver OAT materials(50$) and 1 big Kaplan OAT 2017-2018 book(55$)
  • Weeks 1-2, Dec. 14 to 29 — Learn new stuff — I knew physics, bio, and ochem were the ones I’d have to cover before the practice exams. I had only taken the first semester of physics so far; I’m bad at bio; for Ochem I got good grades, but I’d have to review it now. Gchem I decided not to study, bc throughout freshman year I was a tutor for the subject. For physics I used coursesaver’s physics videos and associated quizzes. For bio I went through the Kaplan book’s bio section and quizzes, and then coursesaver’s bio quizzes. I looked to YouTube’s Crash Course and Bozeman Science when I didn’t get something. For Ochem, I went through the Kaplan book quizzes, coursesaver’s ochem quizzes, and the dat bootcamp ochem reactions sheet.
    • wake up(10:30, I’m a night person)
    • go to the library(11:30)
    • study hard (coursesaver/taking notes/kaplan book)
    • go home for dinner and take a break(5-8) where I don't think abt the OAT at all,
    • study more relaxed(Crash course, bozeman science, practice problems, flash cards, phone and youtube breaks). Highly recommend: the relaxed studying helped take a little pressure off so that I didn't feel overwhelmed so much
    • sleep(1am, I'm still a night person).
  • Week 3-3.5, dec. 30 to Jan. 7 — practice test and review — Monday Wednesday and Friday were test days, the other days were to go over them and then general reviewing. I took 4 practice exams: ADA’s sample DAT, Kaplan Book’s practice exams 1 and 2, and ADA’s sample OAT. Going over them meant looking over the questions I missed and then writing down why the right answer was right.
Jan. 8th — OAT
  • Get to the testing center, empty pockets, throw everything into a locker, get taken to a cubicle. I had been reviewing in the car, but I’d gotten to the center early, so I thought I’d have some chill time to review more and got taken a little off guard when my whole backpack just got locked up. Test starts.
  • format and environment: Kaplan is the closest to how the real test is administered. a little timer in the corner, and buttons for next, previous, mark, and exhibit(periodic table). You can also right click answer choices to cross them out.
  • my bio section: like a long vocab test, lot of memorization and knowing the functions of things (I.e. why is oxygen important in aerobic respiration? What cell component would let a cell move towards a stimulus?) Can’t pick a topic that was favored, they pulled from all around. Coursesaver’s oat biology section is incomplete- crash course and Kaplan cover everything you need.
  • gen chem: no hard calculations. More conceptual stuff w occasional numbers (I.e. based on the following equations’ reduction potentials, which would not dissolve in chemical X?)
  • ochem: It was a mix on mostly reactions and a little spec. Didn’t have to look at any graphs.
  • reading comp: I do this section by skimming the passage and highlighting key words, then search and destroy as fast as I can. I had 3 passages on bats, drug addiction, and the brain.
  • 30 min optional break
  • physics: way easier than Kaplan practice tests, coursesaver’s physics section was very good prep in terms of difficulty and material.
  • quantitative reasoning: more logic than math. (I.e. the number X is divisible by 5. The number X is divisible by 2. Do these 2 statements give sufficient info to find the last digit of X?) or (X is positive, M=(x+1)2, N=x2-2x+1 How are M and N related? M is greater/less/equal/not enough info)
my scores
Test (date) - BIO/GC/OC/RC/PHY/QR/AA/TS
ADA DAT (Dec.30)- 370/390/400/340/380/400/380/400 (the DAT doesn't have physics, so I used coursesaver's ovarall physics quiz to substitute)
Kaplan 1 (Jan. 1) - 340/360/340/340/330/360/350/360
Kaplan2 (Jan. 3) - 340/390/320/350/360/350/350/370
ADA OAT (Jan. 6) - 380/380/350/400/380/400/380/390
Official OAT (Jan. 8) - 390/400/350/370/400/400/390/400

Hope this was helpful someway, good luck on your OATs! and pls comment or msg w any questions!
I tried to personally message you, but Im not sure why it wont allow me to send a message. Soo, did you find Coursesaver and the Kaplan book enough? I have the Kaplan prep plus big book and I will be purchasing the coursesaver. I am on a time crunch, So basically on a tight schedule as you were.

Tiff-of-knee

2+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
I tried to personally message you, but Im not sure why it wont allow me to send a message. Soo, did you find Coursesaver and the Kaplan book enough? I have the Kaplan prep plus big book and I will be purchasing the coursesaver. I am on a time crunch, So basically on a tight schedule as you were.
Yes, I thought both of them together were great.
If you're on a time crunch like me, you'll probably not want to study every single page of both resources(unless you're a super fast learner idk).
You can save time and energy by just using 1 of them, which one you use depends on the section.
If you want a Compare/Contrast between the 2:
Bio - Kaplan. Use the Kaplan book, don't look at Coursesaver, its bio section is incomplete. Kaplan goes into a little more detail than I needed, but I still say do it just in case, bc on the OAT they pulled questions from any random bio subject
GC - Coursesaver. I didn't study for GC, but I took Coursesaver's overall GC quiz and got the same score as on the OAT, so it should be on level
OC - Coursesaver. Chad explains things well and the quizzes were similiar to my OAT.
RC - Kaplan has better and more practice. Coursesaver's RC practice didn't help me.
PHY - COURSAVER's physics gave me only everything I needed to know, and their quizzes were so close to the actual OAT I saw 1 or 2 questions that they basically just copied and changed the numbers. idk what Kaplan's doing but their physics is unnecessarily much harder than the OAT.
QR - Coursesaver. I didn't study for QR either, but I took Coursesaver's overall QR quiz: got the same score as on the OAT, so it should be on level
Good luck!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.