Did any of your fellow pre meds drop out, and then later you find out something about them that makes you glad they didn't go to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwsapphire

Office of the medical examiner.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know the title seems bad but please read.

So recently one of my old college classmates send me a FB friend request. I accepted it. She's a little older and she is a single mother of a young toddler. Generic blonde lady ( this becomes relevant). She has some basic healthcare job ( I think she's an MA) and I believe she is applying to PA school. She was premed at one point but then dropped out.

Anyway, once I friended her I realized she is a (current, not back from 2016) Trump supporter. She posts stuff talking about how " Nobody wants to talk about Black on Black Crime" or how " People had protests over Breonna' Taylor's death but not over Cannon's death"( while failing to realize Cannon's killer was immediately charged but Breonna's killers are still free.) .

Things like " Cops leave you alone if you aren't doing anything illegal" . Other things indicating she doesn't think white privilege is real. She is def. Trump 2020. I'm not sure why she wanted to friend me, a child of immigrants , if she's a Trump supporter lol but that's a separate topic.

My point is....I"m really happy she didn't end up applying to med school. And I think she may not be applying for any additional schooling at all, and Thank God. We don't need more doctors like that.

Anyway, that's all. I'm actually a little nervous- she seemed totally decent in person but inside...these are her beliefs. You never know who is a white supremacist inside.

edit: To be clear, I know that I will treat patients will all kinds of political views. My point of this post is healthcare providers ( doctors, PA's, etc.) should not have racist views or lack an understanding of racial disparities. I know there will be racist patients and I am okay with that, I'm just not okay with racist HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Inappropriate
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
You have your views and they have theirs. In medicine, you will treat patients of all politics. Would you take their political affiliation into account when treating them?

Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 12 users
You have your views and they have theirs. In medicine, you will treat patients of all politics. Would you take their political affiliation into account when treating them?

Just my thoughts.
Not for patients! I don't care what patients think!
I just think healthcare proffesionals should be aware of racial disparities/not have racist views! Just the doctors/PA's/Nurse's , etc. ! Not the pt's!

I know pt's have all kinds of views lol I'm not stupid. I did clinical experiences. I don't care about racist patients, I care about racist DOCTORS.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For me personally , I think I would be disappointed if someone who was doing it ONLY for the money or prestige gets into medical school .... I had a friend like that , he went to a Caribbean school for prestige of MD degree , and then failed boards 5 or 6 times before he gave up and went to study to be X-ray technician . Meanwhile I was a premed , and he was telling me how medical school is a waste of time , and I would be better off being a technician because they “make good money”. The whole thing was heartbreaking to watch because he didn’t care about medicine AT ALL.... great guy though. Just confused .

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
On the contrary, I think the fact that you can’t utter anything that’s not positive about Saint Floyd without getting called racist is more of a problem.

Reactions: 3 users
I think all people should discuss the topic like civilized people instead of throwing that R-word around willy nilly.

PS shouldn't this be in SPF.

Reactions: 3 users
You’re entitled to your views and she is to hers. I personally disagree with how you equate supporting trump to being on the same level as the rest of it, but I can respect your opinion even if I disagree.

But to answer your main question, I hear you. I know some truly nasty people who were premed and my faith in the future is higher now that they dont plan to be physicians

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
You’re entitled to your views and she is to hers. I personally disagree with how you equate supporting trump to being on the same level as the rest of it, but I can respect your opinion even if I disagree.

But to answer your main question, I hear you. I know some truly nasty people who were premed and my faith in the future is higher now that they dont plan to be physicians
Oh yeah the Trump thing is kinda at the bottom, it was just part of the list. It's just ironic bc I am 100 percent foreign lol...

I know patients can have all kinda of views, I just think doctos shouldn't have racist views. That's all. Did not realize that was conterversial.

I think all people should discuss the topic like civilized people instead of throwing that R-word around willy nilly.

PS shouldn't this be in SPF.
This was just the tip of the iceberg. She had comments on those posts where she defended her views in nasty ways.

And honestly, if you don't think white priv. is real and a real thing that Black ppl don't have, and if you think that police " leave you alone if you aren't doing anything illegal" ( implying that the Black people who are harassed deserve it) you're racist. Lol I'm not the only person who thinks that, there is 0 debate there.

And people did civil-y explain why what she said is problematic, and she doubled down on her racist views instead of taking the criticism, seeing what she said was wrong, etc. If you can't see why Breonna's Taylor's death was wrong I don't know what to tell you man, there is no civil discussion to be had there....

My point is DOCTORS and MED STUDENTS should be held to a higher standard than that.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.