Did anyone do non-medical/research related jobs during their year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anucar

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is it to do medical/research related jobs during your year off? I have a job lined up, but it doesn't relate to the medical field. Any experiences with this?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

anucar said:
How important is it to do medical/research related jobs during your year off? I have a job lined up, but it doesn't relate to the medical field. Any experiences with this?

thanks

Yep, me! I am working as an admin assistant/receptionist. I am not really sure how it affected me though. If you have clinical/research experience, I don't really think it's a problem but I really don't know. If you have any specific questions, just ask.

I did Americorps for a year (more snowboarding related than health related) and I got into a number of schools that I did not get into when I had applied the previous year ...

Members don't see this ad :)
anucar said:

thanks

i'm teaching middle school math and science in nyc program similar to "teach for america"

it gave me something to talk about, as well as some breathing space during interviews. no one asked me why i didn't do research or whatnot in my year off. i don't think it matters; might as well enjoy the year and expand your horizons

I'm a non-trad, so I've taken more than a year off, during that time I've worked at a couple of oil and gas companies as an analyst and I spent a year and a half at Johnson Space Center in Mission Control. Not medically related, but hopefully they will find it interesting.

bocai said:
I did Americorps for a year (more snowboarding related than health related) and I got into a number of schools that I did not get into when I had applied the previous year ...

MOre snowboarding related? I am unfimilar with Americorps Are you referring to you free time doing snowboarding?

I've been working the same job for almost 2 years and if I had it to do over again I would have done something completely unrelated to medicine and all, just to have break from the environment and try something new. I mean it helps your ECs and all especially if you want to send updates while you are applying... but you are going to spend the rest of your life in a university, hospital, clinic, or Dr.'s office, so you might as well take some time to breathe and see what it is like to be a "normal" person. I'd like to try working in a coffee shop for instance but now I'll probably never have the chance!

My situation is a bit different because I applied first and then deferred. For the past year I've been working abroad in New Zealand doing some work as a personal trainer. It's be unrelated to medicine and that's been a really nice change, especially when I look at the fact that I'm going to be spending the rest of my life dealing with the medical world. Personally I don't that that doing something non-medical is detrimental to your application. Just shows that you have a diverse set of skills and are capable of working in different environments...makes you more versatile.

I've worked two years in public health, and the research is related to developing education products. Do something that you're happy with during your time off, but do make sure that you've got the requisite knowledge and experience to make you a strong candidate (e.g., great ECs). Go and travel, or take the opportunity to enjoy a hobby. You may have time to do these things later, but it will be limited.

Regards,
H&T