1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

did anyone do their undergrad at the university of wisconsin???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by curlywurly, Apr 10, 2007.

1. curlywurly

curlywurly hair gel enthusiast
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm a freshman pre-med there and I'm trying to pick classes for the fall. Is it worth it to take biocore (really hard bio) or should I go for the A in zoo 151/152 (regular bio)? And who are good profs for chem 343 (o-chem)? Also, does anyone have any tips on how to pass math 222 (calc 2)?:rolleyes:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ldybugg82

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, since no one seems to be answering you...

Why not go for the 'A' in biocore? I took Zoo, but just so you know, it's not a guaranteed 'A'. I think some majors favor one over the other. Is biocore 1 sem or 2? Just make sure you'll have the required amount of biology semesters for med school.

Sorry, took this class 5 years ago, not sure who is teaching it currently.

Do lots of practice problems.

4. riverwoman1040

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wouldn't recommend taking biocore. UW is the only med school that will recognize how much more difficult it is, and it's a rather hellish sequence. 151/152 will be more than adequate preparation for the MCAT

When I took 345 Zimmerman was the easy prof, although I wouldn't be surprised if he's retired now.

5. BadgerMD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm a senior at UW now.... here's what I can tell you: Biocore is NOT worth it. Like another poster said, only the UW med school will know how much harder it was than normal bio, so why kill yourself for nothing? I'd take 151/152.... thats what most everyone takes and i think its more important to get an A. As for Ochem- I took Barbara Whitlock both semesters (343,345) and I really liked her.... she's older and definitely set in her ways so no real surprises on exams. Zimmerman for 345..... I obviously didnt have him, but all my friends that were in that class somewhat regretted going for the easy prof (he reuses all his quizzes, so all you basically have to do is find an upperclassmen who had him, get all their quizzes, and you'll ace everything), but because of this they didn't learn as much and needed to work extra hard when MCAT time came around. As for calc 222.... I opted to take stats instead cuz 221 was enough for me! If you have any other questions, PM me....!