Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Did anyone else defer this year? What are you doing?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by spacecadet, Jul 16, 2002.

1. spacecadet

spacecadet Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just wondering what other people who deferred are doing this year. Are you doing anything to get ready for med school next year?

Personally, I'm going to keep working and save up some money. I'm also going to have a baby in October and spend some quality time with him. :) I was thinking about trying to brush up my Spanish before I start med school next year, but that's about the extent of my academic pursuits.

Pam
    Baylor class of 2007

2. silvercholla

silvercholla Smarter than the avg bear
    7+ Year Member

Deferment is a necessary evil:p

3. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench
    7+ Year Member

Hey Pam -

Do you think "I want to work another year and save up more money" is a good enough reason for most schools? I'm assuming that the pending arrival of your new bambino was the bigger reason, but I'm just wondering.

Just for my future reference (just submitted AMCAS for the first time.) I think it could be very nice to have a slot reserved with a whole year before day 1 to live life, but could totally understand a school questioning one's commitment if a less than new baby caliber reason were given for deferral.

4. spacecadet

spacecadet Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Zoobaby,

The bambino is most definitely the reason for my deferment. In fact, they really didn't give me a choice about it, or else I might have been starting this year anyway...

I think it depends on the school. Some will give you the deferment "no questions asked" (or so I have heard) while some won't give them at all.

5. liberty

liberty Member
    7+ Year Member

i'm deferring a year to do research abroad.

6. spacecadet

spacecadet Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow liberty, that sounds interesting. Where are you going and what kind of research (if you don't mind my asking)?

7. shekspere

shekspere Member
    7+ Year Member

i deferred and am spending my time in between "spreading- the-goodness" (take that how u wish)

An educated man/woman is a wealthy man/woman- Paraphase of chinese proverb as pasted on the walls of a building i so often frequent

8. chopsuey

chopsuey miss independent
    7+ Year Member

BUMP....

this is interesting! i want to do research abroad, too.

question...you didn't discuss or mention this before actually gaining acceptance right? it definitely seems like a bad idea to mention the idea of deferring, but i wanted to hear others' views.

it's too bad because i hope to be doing something interesting enough that i'll be dying to talk about it!!