Did anyone else get a scholarship offer with their NYU acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vapor1122

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my acceptance from NYU in the mail today, along with an offer for a $15,000 scholarship for the first year. Is this something that they toss out to everyone to make the school more attractive, or am I one of the lucky few? :)

FTR, this would bring the cost of NYU "down" to about $350k, which puts it on par with BU.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my acceptance from NYU in the mail today, along with an offer for a $15,000 scholarship for the first year. Is this something that they toss out to everyone to make the school more attractive, or am I one of the lucky few? :)

FTR, this would bring the cost of NYU "down" to about $350k, which puts it on par with BU.

Congrats on the $$! I just looked at my letter again (didn't see the second sheet), and I got $10,000.

Members don't see this ad :)
10k for me. With the cost of living in New York this brings the price down to about Penn's level, which is the school I'm currently leaning toward...

what kind of stat do you need to get the scholarship?

heh.. I went to double check and found none, just a letter inviting me for summer research

Our student tour guide said that they give out scholarships randomly. He got at large scholarship, which they don't have anyone, to him randomly~ $40K. He said he didn't even ask for one and that if anyone in the group wanted one to call the admissions office and ask:rolleyes:!

I also got the 15K/year scholarship. After some calculations, the cost of NYU is still about twice as much as my state school....but it's NYC...hmm...i am le confused...

Are the scholarships given by the admissions committee or financial aid committee?

hey congrats guys! i was just wondering if these scholarship $$$ are merit-based or need-based... or randomly assigned? thanks!

hey congrats guys! i was just wondering if these scholarship $$$ are merit-based or need-based... or randomly assigned? thanks!
Supposedly merit, although I didn't think my 3.2 was anything to get excited over
think.gif

Supposedly merit, although I didn't think my 3.2 was anything to get excited over
think.gif
I have no idea, I have 3.7 and AA24 but I didn't get any from any of the 5 schools that accepted me

I have no idea, I have 3.7 and AA24 but I didn't get any from any of the 5 schools that accepted me

i think it's bec. they suspect you wont go to NYU
With your stats they want you but expect you to go to your state school.
thats just my guess

these scholarships are given by the admission committee...when i got mine, all the schools said stuff about having the overall package...blah..blah...blah...so its not just academically focused

nyu used to award a couple of 4 year full tuition scholarships(valued at +180K) to their top applicants (DAT24+) but not anymore. They had major a overhaul in admission since Anthony Sp..tta took over last year, including the demise of the "acceptance w/o interview" thing. I heard that those full scholarship winners did not perform academically as well as expected in NYU, and it now looks like they are using all saved money to attract the middle class group and compete with BU, Tufts, and the like.

i think it's bec. they suspect you wont go to NYU
With your stats they want you but expect you to go to your state school.
thats just my guess

which is why they should entice him with a low risk scholarship offer. I have similar stats, harjay, and also didn't get any scholarships... looks like it's state schoolin' for me!:cool: