1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Did Anyone Else's NYU App Look Like **** When Finished??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by The Fly, Oct 16, 2001.

1. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Okay so NYU has their own app, which, this year turned out to be a really good choice. BUT...unlike Columbia who has made it into the 21st century, NYU has the only totally paper app out there (as far as I know).

Incidentally, the typewriter I was using had no erase function. Inevitably, though I wrote it out on a xerox, I made plenty of mistakes. Alas, there was no light yellowish white-out to be found, which necessitated using the good old regular stuff. To make a long story short, if you held my application up to the light, it looked like something I would have produced in fourth grade.

Am I alone in this, or is there somebody else out there for whom this rings true?? :D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

I would not have dared to use a typewriter without a correction function! :eek: And my typing speed was about 10 wpm, as it was. ;) This was for other secondary apps, mind you, I didn't apply to NYU. I doubt they'll hold the correction fluid color against you. Maybe it'll prod 'em into going on-line. Wasn't Columbia's app a joy? :D

4. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

Hahah...My NYU app...looks like I was drunk when I did it!
    I realized my typewriter's correction key sucked when I did it and so you can see all the mistakes I made!
    Then I could never get it to go in straight...so to read it you have to tilt your head :)

5. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Scoob--
    I *love* it! :D :D

That is totally how I felt...that stupid
    correction ribbon ran out after I used it once!! So, I called kinko's and the closest one with a typewriter was actually pretty far. I figured i'd just be careful, right?!?
    By the end, it looked like someone spilled whiteout all over my app.

Oh and SMW--yea, Columbia's was a breeze and a pleasure after doing AMCAS...but since I am assuming they've been doing the paper thing a while, I am not so sure they're ready to switch over to embark.com yet. Perhaps the admissions criteria is whether or not you can find a functioning typewriter in 2001! ;)

6. jdub

jdub Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    that nyu app was definitely a pain.

it does not leave any room for the people who where in a quarter system either.

i didn't have to many errors (i bought like three or four error ribbons in advance), but my classes where all over the place. they give you two spots for first year chem and the labs, and i took six different classes for first year chem. it was the same for physics and o-chem too.

i had two extra sheets of paper with my classes and personal statement on them too.

anyhow, at least it wasn't an off purple like last year's app. i bought a whole ream of paper just to make 4 or 5 copies of it.