Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Did anyone get a letter about Cal Grants?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Alexander99, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous
    7+ Year Member

After filling out the FAFSA, did anyone get a letter saying they don't qualify for Cal Grants because they'll be pursuing a professional/graduate (MD) degree in 2004-2005.

What's the point of that letter? People don't get Cal Grants in med school, do they? The letter makes it seem like I had a chance to get Cal Grants but was somehow disqualified.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

These two statements mean the same thing. They're telling you that "people don't get Cal Grants in med school."

I assume by filling out a FAFSA you are automatically put into queue for a Cal Grant. Since you're going to med school, they booted you out.

I also could be totally mistaken.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. I didn't get that letter. Yes, its pointless though because didn't the FAFSA already state this information?

4. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous
    7+ Year Member

I need to read up about financial aid again but basically, as med students we can only get loans from the government and grants/loans from our school, right? There's no such thing as grants for the government for med school is this correct?

That's too bad cause I was getting massive federal grants for undergrand.

5. flighterdoc

flighterdoc Rocket Scientist
    7+ Year Member

yeah, I did. I just figured that the wonderful state computer doesn't know what it's doing.